Looking for the best whole house water filter for your home?
Well, I’ve researched and reviewed more than 30 whole house water filtration systems and shortlisted a few excellent ones just for you.
The whole house water filter is also sometimes referred as the point of entry (POE) water filter or outdoor water filter.
It’s used to protect the whole house piping system from sediments like rust, heavy metals, small stones, sand, and large particles.
An outdoor whole house water filter can also act as the first layer of water filtration to reduce the burden for all the in-house point of use (POU) water filters.
It’s necessary especially for areas with bad water quality. Otherwise, you and your family are going to take the bath and wash your face with contaminated water.
Disclosure: BrizFeel is a participant of Amazon Associate program.
Top 10 Best Whole House Water Filters
Here are the top 10 best water filters for whole house:
- Express Water Heavy Metal WH300SCKS – Best Whole House Water Filter (Overall)
- Aquasana Rhino EQ-1000-AST-UV + UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler – Best Filtration
- Home Master HMF3SDGFEC – Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water
- Express Water WH300SCGS – Best Whole House Water Filter for City Water
- iSpring WGB32B-PB – Best Whole House Water Filter for Lead Removal
- Home Master HMF2SMGCC – Best Whole House Water Filter for Chloramine
- iSpring WGB22BM – Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water (Budget)
- iSpring WGB22B – Best Whole House Water Filter for City Water (Budget)
- 3M Aqua-Pure AP903 – Best High Flow Whole House Water Filter
- GE GXWH40L+ FXHSC – Best Compact Whole House Water Filter
How I Pick The Best Whole House Water Filter
When coming to getting the best water filtration system for home, here are some important factors that I will consider about, which are:
- Filtration capability
- Filter lifespan
- Housing materials
- Installation and replacement
- Customer service
- Filter size
If a filtration system can’t perform well in filtering out sediments and contaminants, it doesn’t deserve to appear in front of you here, so I remove it silently at the back end.
During my review, I have seen some whole house water filters that do not have a sediment filter in their set up.
For these filters, I automatically added in a separate sediment filter and consider it as a whole.
Since it’s a front line filter, a sediment filter is a must.
The top 6 whole house water filters have proven themselves in term of filtration capabilities.
Humans are lazy (I knew), so to reduce your whole house water filter replacement frequency, most of the top water filters I shortlisted only need to be maintained every 12 months for a family of four to five.
While for smaller size and capacity filters, it should at least last for 2 months, best at 3 months.
For a whole house water filtration system, I do have some requirements for the housing materials as it might be placed at outdoor area and under the sun.
So, you won’t see any filters that made from cheap plastic here.
The housing materials have to be endurable against hot temperature and acidity from rain.
Installation and Filter Replacement
In order to lighten your whole house filter installation and replacement work, those filters with simpler installation and filter replacement process will have a better edge to be included in the best whole house water filters list.
Every product comes with a cost, but what I really care about is the value.
There’s no point to buy a cheap water filter that only lasts for a month and bring you a lot of troubles like water leaking and low quality filtered water.
Also, it’s not worth to buy an expensive water filter that performs the same as others with much lower cost.
I valued the ratio of product performance to its cost more than the cost alone.
For a product like a water filtration system, there is a high probability that a buyer may have questions regarding the following:
- Product issues
- Installation and maintenance issues
- Leaking issues
- Instructions before use
- Technical issues
- Filtered water issues
So, how can a product like this go far without a great customer service team standing behind to solve customers inquiries and issues?
Imagine when you are in trouble and calling the office number multiple times a day during working hours but nobody picks up the phone. Or sent multiple emails weeks ago but yet to receive a single reply.
How frustrating is it, right?
Facing a bad customer service team will definitely ruin the overall experience in using the product, even if the product is cheap!
This is not that relevant for a landed house with plenty of outdoor space.
But for families that stay in an apartment with limited space, the filter size does matter.
Therefore, I took into account the capacity-to-space ratio to shortlisted a few space-efficient whole house water filters.
Best Whole House Water Filtration Systems Reviews
Without further ado, let’s go through each of the best water filter system for home:
1. Express Water Heavy Metal WH300SCKS [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter (Overall)
- Strong filtration performance against sediments, chlorine, chloramine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), heavy metals, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, fungi, viruses, etc.
- Fast water filtration rate up to 15 GPM
- High filter capacity that lasts up to 100,000 gallons or 12 months
- Quick and easy filter replacement
- The 1st-stage housing is translucent for easy monitoring
- With 3 pressure gauges and release buttons
The Express Water Heavy Metal WH300SCKS is a 3-stage whole-home filtration system that are designed to remove and reduce a wide range of harmful contaminants like lead, iron, mercury, nickel, copper, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, fungi, rust, silt, chlorine, chloramine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, cadmium, chromium, viruses, turbidity, cloudiness, and many more.
Here are the 3 stages of filtration:
This point-of-entry whole house system is capable to supply a large volume of clean water to the entire house to protect you and your family from showering with harsh chlorine and appliances breakdown due to water contaminants.
For convenience, the first filter housing is translucent so you can see your filter and know when it needs to be replaced without dismantling the system.
Besides, all the components and filters are independently tested and verified to meet NSF/ANSI standards.
So, let’s start using clean and healthy water for your house, family members, pets, plants, appliances, clothes, cooking, showering, and more!
2. Aquasana Rhino EQ-1000-AST-UV Whole House Water Filter + UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler – Best Filtration
- Effectively remove and reduce harmful contaminants like chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), pesticides, herbicides, lead, mercury, bacteria, and viruses
- With a salt-free water conditioner to soften the water
- With a UV filter to kill microorganisms like bacteria and viruses
- Ultra-long filter life up to 1 million gallons of filtration or 10 years
- Up to 7 GPM water filtration rate
- Unique Upflow, Dual-tank design
- Easy maintenance
The Aquasana Rhino EQ-1000-AST-UV is an ultra-high capacity whole house filtration system that comes with a salt-free Scale Control Media (SCM) and UV purifier to maximize the filtration performance while keeping the essential minerals in water.
Here’s the breakdown of this powerful whole house water filtration system:
This powerful filtration system supplies clean water to your entire house, allowing you to get healthier skin and hair from showering.
Besides, the salt-free water conditioner can prevent scale forming to protect your home plumbing system and appliances.
To maintain high water flow rate, the pre-filter and post-filter need to be replaced every 3 months.
3. Home Master 3-Stage HMF3SDGFEC [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water
- Effectively remove sediments, chemicals, iron, manganese, sulfur smell, chlorine taste and odor, pesticides, herbicides, and more contaminants.
- Down to 1-micron filtration with a multi-gradient density sediment filter.
- High water pressure filter housings with 1-inch ports and up to 15 GPM (gallons per minute) water flow rate.
- Large capacity coconut shell carbon filter provides clean water with high filtration rate.
- Replace every 100,000 gallons or 12 months.
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is a 3-stage whole house water filter that consists of a multi-gradient sediment filter, a radial flow iron, manganese, and sulfur reduction filter, and a radial flow carbon filter which make it the ideal point of entry water filtration system for your home.
Here’s the breakdown of each filter stage and its function:
The combination provides strong filtration against sediments, iron, manganese, chemicals, sulfur, bad taste and odor, bacterial, and more contaminants which make it the perfect whole house filter for non-chlorinated well water with pH level above 7.0 and no iron bacteria.
Tip: To know the well water condition, you may get your well water analysis from lab prior to buying.
Besides, the 1-inch ports housing provide high-pressure water and fast flow rate up to 15 GPM for simultaneous water needs.
Also, the large capacity filters allowed it to last for 12 months which reduce your maintenance frequency and cost.
4. Express Water 3-Stage WH300SCGS [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter for City Water
- Effectively remove rust, sand, Insecticides, Pesticides, Herbicides, Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs), Turbidity, Chlorine taste and odor, and more contaminants.
- Quick and easy filters replacement.
- 1-inch ports for high water pressure flow up to 15 GPM.
- Replace filters every 100,000 gallons of water or 12 months of usage.
- Made with 100% food-grade materials.
- All components are tested to meet NSF/ANSI standards for quality assurance.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty and free lifetime support.
The Express Water 3 stage whole house filtration system is designed to provide a high volume of filtered water to your entire house without pressure drop so that you can enjoy your shower without chlorine taste and smell and protect your home appliances from getting damaged by water contaminants.
Here’s the breakdown of the 3-stage filtration system:
All the filter housings are made from solid ABS and PCE plastic for high durability and the 1st-stage housing is translucent to let you observe the filter current condition without open up the housing.
To ease your maintenance work, the filtration system comes with 3 separate pressure release buttons and simple twist-off filter housing for easy filters replacement
5. iSpring WGB32B-PB 3-Stage [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter for Lead Removal
- Effectively remove sediments, chlorine, bad taste and odor, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), industrial solvents, herbicides, and more from tap water
- Greatly reduce lead and iron contaminants
- High water flow rate up to 15 GPM
- Simple installation
- Large capacity that lasts up to 100,000 gallons of filtration or 12 months
- Filters are tested to meet NSF/ANSI standards
The iSpring WGB32B-PB is a 3-stage whole house water filtration system that focuses on reducing lead and Iron in water, as well as other common contaminants like sediments, chlorine, VOCs, and more.
Here are the 3 stages of water filtration:
6. Home Master HMF2SMGCC 2-Stage [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter for Chloramine
- Fine water filtration with 4 layers of gradient density sediment filter from 25 microns down to 1 micron.
- Effectively remove up to 95% of Chlorine, Chloramines, heavy metals, chemicals, and other contaminants in water.
- High capacity filters produce high water pressure and flow rate to the whole house.
- Long filters lifespan of up to 95,000 gallons of water or 12 months for four to five users.
- Support high water pressure up to 10 GPM.
The Home Master HMF2SMGCC is a 2-stage whole house water filtration system that’s capable to provide high pressure safe filtered water to the entire house with its combination of multi-gradient sediment filter and KDF85/Catalytic Carbon filter.
Here’s the breakdown of each filter function:
Just install it at the incoming water entry to enjoy the clean filtered water from all your water faucets.
It’s effective in removing both Chlorine and Chloramines from the water, make it a great solution for the municipally treated water that contains both types of chemicals.
7. iSpring WGB22BM 2-Stage [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water (Budget)
- Effectively reduce iron, manganese, and more contaminants in water
- Remove common contaminants like sediments, chlorine taste and odor, industrial solvents, VOCs, herbicides, pesticides, and more
- High water flow rate up to 15 GPM
- Large capacity up to 100,000 gallons of filtration or 1 year
The iSpring WGB22BM is a 2-stage whole house water filtration system that is designed to fight against iron, manganese, chloramines, heavy metals, nitrates, industrial solvents, chemicals, and more harmful contaminants.
Here are 2 layers of contaminants removal:
8. iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage [Review] – Best Whole House Water Filter for City Water (Budget)
- Effectively remove up to 98% of sediments, rust, VOCs, industrial solvents, herbicides, pesticides, Chlorine taste and odor, and more contaminants.
- Strong water filtration down to 5 microns.
- Fast water flow rate up to 15 GPM.
- Replace every 100,000 gallons of water or 12 months usage.
- Tested to meet NSF/ANSI Standards.
This iSpring whole house water filter is a great choice for filtering municipally treated water because of its 5 microns sediment filter and CTO coconut shell carbon block filter.
Here’s the breakdown of the 2-stage filter functions:
9. 3M Aqua-Pure AP903 [Review] – Best High Flow Whole House Water Filter
- Effectively reduces Chlorine taste and odor, chemicals, and other common contaminants.
- Able to reduce sediment, rust, dirt, and large particles.
- Great filtration down to 5 microns.
- Quick Change Cartridge for fast and easy filter replacement.
- High water filtration rate at 20 GPM.
- Replace every 100,000 gallons of water or 1-year usage.
If you already have a whole house sediment filter, then the 3M Aqua-Pure AP903 Whole House Water Filter can be a great second filtration layer after the sediment filter.
It’s a high flow 5-micron carbon block filter that is great in removing Chlorine taste and odor and other contaminants to provide clean filtered water to your entire house with strong water pressure.
Besides, the Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) design of this filtration system saves your time and effort in replacing the filter cartridge.
10. GE GXWH40L+ FXHSC [Review] – Best Compact Whole House Water Filter
- GE FXHSC is a pleated sediment filter that reduces Chlorine and sediments like rust, sand, silt, scale, and more contaminants down to 30 microns.
- High water flow rate up to 10 GPM.
- Filter lifespan lasts up to 24,000 gallons of water or 3 months for a family of four.
- Simple installation.
- Comes with a magnetic filter reminder light.
- The whole system is tested and certified by NSF/ANSI against standard 42.
The GE GXWH40L high flow filter housing plus a GE FXHSC pleated sediment filter cartridge is the most basic whole house water filter for all kind of water source.
By getting this whole house sediment water filter, you can have basic water filtration in under a hundred US dollar which makes it the best budget solution for whole house water filtration.
As you will have to replace the filter 4 times a year, a magnetic filter reminder light is included to aid you in replacing the filter.
Buying Guide for the Best Whole House Water Filter
I don’t want to just show you a list of my top picks, but I also want you to learn how to choose the right one by yourself.
But before that, let me share with you why you need a whole house water filtration system for your home.
Why You Need A Whole House Water Filter
Without a whole house water filter, the incoming water that carrying sediments and contaminants like rust, sand, heavy metals, little stones, and dust will travel through all your piping system and cause piping degradation.
Also, the bad quality water may damage your washing machine and cause yellowish in your clothing every time you wash.
Not only that, the incoming contaminated water will affect your skin badly during bathing and face cleansing, especially if your home has a baby.
So, why not just install a great whole house water filter and get rid of all the above risks to have a peace of mind?
A single whole house water filter can also prolong the lifespan of all your other point-of-use water filters due to better input water quality, which reduces your overall maintenance cost and hassles.
Tip 1: While a point of entry (POE) whole house water filtration system act as the frontline of water filtration, I’ll still highly recommend you to get a point of use water filter like Reverse Osmosis filter for drinking purpose.
Tip 2: Consider adding a low-cost flushable sediment filter in front of the whole house filtration system to prolong its lifespan, as the main system is what costs more.
Tip 3: As all whole house water filters are designed to operate on certain water pressure range, so if your water pressure is higher than the acceptable range, you’ll need to add a pressure regulator to lower down the water pressure before entering the system.
Tip 4: Before you start using any whole house water filter, always remember to flush the system first to ensure no residuals like carbon flakes entering your pipe system!
How To Choose The Best Water Filter For Whole House
There are some factors you need to consider in order to decide the right whole house water filter for your home.
Before that, ask yourself these 5 questions first:
- Where are you going to put your whole house water filter?
- How many spaces you have for the whole house water filter?
- How is the quality of your water source?
- What is the average monthly water usage?
- What’s your budget?
1. Where are you going to put your whole house water filter
If you install the water filter at the outdoor area which exposed to direct sunlight and rain, then the filter housing material and quality become important to withstand the weather.
With that being said, you should only consider filters that come with a robust housing for exposed outdoor location.
While for the indoor or covered location, a high quality plastic housing will do the job well.
2. How many spaces you have for the whole house water filter
Are you staying in a landed house or a high rise apartment?
Usually, there are more spaces to install a whole house water filter for a landed house, so the filter size is not a major concern for the high capacity filter.
But for high-rise apartments, the space to put the water filter could be a major issue.
In this case, a space-efficient whole house water filter could be the wise choice to get the best balance between space and filter capacity.
3. How is the quality of your water supply
You should choose the right water filters according to your water supply condition.
If you are getting municipally treated water, then you should focus on a whole house water filter that is good against sediments, chemicals like chlorine and chloramine, and other common contaminants.
In other words, your whole house water filtration system shall contain a sediment filter and at least one activated carbon filter.
If you are getting private well water, then you should go for a whole house water filter that has strong filtration power against sediments, iron, heavy metals, sulfur, and other harmful contaminants or add a UV filter after the last stage of the whole house water filter to kill 99.99% of microorganisms like bacteria (E.Coli), viruses.
Also, try to get the whole house filters with high capacity to minimize the replacement frequency.
Note: Please note that most whole house water filtration system (if not all) do not reduce total dissolved solids (TDS) in water. So if you want to reduce the TDS in water, you’ll have to install a point-of-use Reverse Osmosis System to remove them, and that’s the recommended way if you want pure drinking water from your faucet.
4. What’s the average monthly water usage
As a rule of thumb, the higher the monthly water usage, the higher the filter capacity is needed for your home.
You can estimate it based on how many people in your house.
According to USGS, a person uses about 80-100 gallons of water daily.
Let’s take the average of 90 for calculation purpose, a family of four will use about 90 gallons x 365 days x 4 persons, which equal to 131,400 gallons of water.
But of course, we haven’t minus off the time for vacations, shopping, dining out, and etc., so I will say roughly about 100,000 gallons capacity is needed in order to last for 12 months.
So to last for 12 months, But if there are heavy users in the house, like washing their cars a few times in a single month, you need to add that up as well.
It’s neither cost-effective to get a huge capacity water filter with only 2 people in the house nor efficient to get a low capacity water filter with 7 people in the house.
So do remember to estimate the average monthly water usage first before deciding a whole house water filter.
5. What’s your budget?
This is a very realistic question, no problem with it.
So when you are deciding a whole house water filtration system, you need to gauge between your affordability and filter functionality.
For instance, let’s take the three 2-stage whole house water filtration systems mentioned in my above reviews.
Three of them are capable to remove sediments, Chlorine taste and odor, and the majority of common contaminants.
The obvious differences are the filtration capability and product price.
Now, let’s rank them accordingly:
Filtration capability ranking:
- Home Master HMF2SMGCC
- Home Master HMF2SDGC
- iSpring WGB22B
Product price ranking:
- iSpring WGB22B
- Home Master HMF2SDGC
- Home Master HMF2SMGCC
So by looking at the differences, all you need to do is to gauge the balance between price and filtration capability.
If budget allowed and you need to remove Chloramines or heavy metals, go for Home Master HMF2SMGCC.
If budget allowed and you don’t need to remove Chloramines or heavy metals, go for Home Master HMF2SDGC.
If the budget is tight, go for iSpring WGB22B or a single stage whole house water filter.
That’s how you decide the right whole house water filter for your home.
Here’s the comparison table for the top 10 best whole house water filters:
|Filter Model||Stage||Reason to Pick||Price|
|Express Water Heavy Metal||3||Best Overall||Check|
|Aquasana EQ-1000-AST-UV||3||Best Filtration||Check|
|Home Master HMF3SDGFEC||3||Best for Well Water||Check|
|Express Water WH300SCGS||3||Best for City Water||Check|
|iSpring WGB32B-PB||3||Best for Lead Removal||Check|
|Home Master HMF2SMGCC||2||Best for Chloramine||Check|
|iSpring WGB22BM||2||Best for Well Water (Budget)||Check|
|iSpring WGB22B||2||Best for City Water (Budget)||Check|
|3M Aqua-Pure AP903||1||Best High Flow Water Filter||Check|
|GE GXWH40L + GE FXHSC||1||Best Compact Water Filter||Check|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To know the actual water condition, you may get a professional water analysis report from water analytical lab.
Otherwise, you may use a TDS meter to estimate the water quality.
The best whole house water filter for well water is the Home Master HMF3SDGFEC Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter.
No, you shouldn’t.
The Reverse Osmosis is not an efficient process for whole house water filtration, and here’s why:
First, it wastes a lot of water to produce the purest drinkable water, and you want to use it to flush your toilet? What a waste!
Second, the water filtration rate is much slower compared to the non-RO system, so are you okay to shower with drips of water? And it gets worse with simultaneous uses from family members.
While the Reverse Osmosis system is a great point-of-use water filter, it’s not for whole house water filtration.
TDS meter is only suitable to measure Reverse Osmosis filtered water.
Because a flow-through water filter will retain the minerals in water which contribute to TDS value, therefore, the TDS reading will not drop much.
The answer is no.
I have seen many people used a TDS meter or TDS pen to measure Total Dissolved Solids in their water without knowing what is really being measured.
In short, what TDS meter measured is the electrical conductivity (EC) in water (pure H2O has virtually zero EC), and then times the EC value by a factor between 0.5 to 1 (set by the manufacturer) to estimates the TDS (which is not the real Total Dissolved Solids in water).
For instances, dissolved organic solids (eg: sugar) and microscopic solid particles (eg: colloids) are not measurable by the TDS meter because they do not affect the water conductivity significantly.
The accurate way to measure the actual TDS in water is to evaporate the water and then weighing the dissolved residue left.
Depending on your family size and water usage, you should aim for a whole house water filter that provides at least 7 GPM to your entire house for a family of four.
It really depends on the filter capacity, water quality, and usages, it may last from 1 month all the way to 3 years (maximum).
For safety wise, any filter cartridge that is not washable should change every 3 to 12 months, except those with very high capacity and purposely made to last for a long period of time.
If that’s the case, you may install a water softener prior to the main whole house water filtration system to prolong the lifespan of the main filters.
The water softener shall be replaced or flushed frequently to prevent water pressure drop for the entire house.
For well water, you should go for a whole house filtration system that is capable to filter out heavy metals like iron and manganese, sulfur, and other well water contaminants.
No worries, It’s normal for the first few times if you are using a water filtration system that contains carbon block filter.
The greyish color is due to the black color carbon block and the black flakes are from the newly manufactured carbon block.
Just flush the system for about 5 minutes and 2-3 times will do.
You can measure the pressure drop by installing pressure gauges before and after the filter.
When the filter cartridge is new, run the water filtration system and write down the difference of pressure reading (let’s say 2 psi). Then measure again after a few months, you’ll notice the pressure difference is increasing, let’s say to 7 psi.
When the difference of 2 pressure gauges reading reach about 15, it’s time to change the filter cartridge (or wash if it’s washable).
The answer is no, but it’s recommended to have NSF certified for all components that have contact with water (especially for smaller brands).
NSF is a certification system and not a quality control system, so it can’t guarantee the filter performance in the long run and the quality of your filter when it’s manufactured (since thousands of filters are being manufactured and shipped to customers directly without going through NSF).
Not absolutely but is recommended if it’s a highly reputable brand in term of product safety, quality control and customer support.
As we discussed earlier, the important parts of considering a water filter are about the material of the components, where the components are manufactured, and the functionality of the filter system.
So more importantly, choose a water filter which all its components are manufactured by reputable companies with strict material control and strict quality control (eg: US-based manufacturers).
Not really. For example, a water filter company bought all the low-quality components from elsewhere and assembled in the USA, the company is allowed to say the water filter is “Made in USA”, but this doesn’t justify the product quality and safeties.
What you really need to know is where the components (which used to build the water filtration system) are manufactured. For instance, if all the components are made in the USA and assembled in Thailand, then the water filtration system is considered safe.
Have you found the best whole house water filter for home?
I hope you do.
As you already know, a whole house water filtration system is important for you and your family members to enjoy clean water for showering, washing, and cooking.
So if your budget allows, just get the best one for your family.
It’s definitely worth the investment!
Now it’s your turn, are you using any whole house water filter for your home?
Let me know in the comment below.
- The 10 Best Water Dispenser for Home & Office
- Top 10 Under Counter Water Filtration System
- The 10 Types of Common Water Filtration System
755 467 48 285