When you buy via links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Looking for the best well water filtration system for your home?
You are in the right place.
With over 10 years of experience in the water treatment industry, I’ve built a complete whole house well water filtration system for my home.
I will show you the complete setup, reviews of well water filters, and guide you on how to build the best water filtration system for well water.
The Best Well Water Filtration System for Home Setup – Expert’s Picks
Here are some of the best filters for well water.
1. Best Sediment Filters for Well Water
- iSpring Reusable Spin-down Filter – Best Overall
- Rusco 2″ Spin Down Sediment Filter – Best Whole-House Sediment Filter for Well Water
- Aquaboon 4.5 x 20″ Whole House – Best Sediment Filter Housing for Well Water
2. Best Water Softeners for Well Water
3. Best Whole House Water Filtration Systems for Well Water
- Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House – Best for Well Water with Heavy Metals
- Aquasana Rhino w/ UV & Salt-Free Descaler – Best Purification
- Home Master Whole House Filter – Best Overall
4. Best UV Filter for Well Water
- HQUA UV Sterilizer Water Filter – Best UV Sterilizer
5. Best Reverse Osmosis Systems for Well Water
- Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection RO System – Best Overall
- Waterdrop Tankless RO System – Best Tankless Reverse Osmosis
- APEC Top Tier Supreme RO-PH90 Water Filter – Best Value
6. Best Shower Filters for Well Water
7. Best Faucet Filters for Well Water
8. Best Outdoor Reverse Osmosis System for Well Water
- Hydro-Logic Evolution RO1000 – Best High-Flow RO System
9. Best Well Water Filtration System for Iron
10. Best Well Water Filtration System for Sulfur
Why Do You Need A Well Water Filtration System for Home
Do you ever think of why do you need a water filter for well water?
Well, the answer is because well water is unsafe.
City water is treated in the water treatment plant with a disinfectant like Chlorine, which kills harmful microorganisms like bacteria and viruses.
However, the case is not the same for well water.
Private well water is not treated and regulated, which can contain harmful contaminants like heavy metals, toxic chemicals, bacteria, and viruses.
These harmful contaminants may cause gastrointestinal illness like diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting, and more serious health issues like cancer, reproductive problems, and neurological problems.
I believe none of you want that to happen to yourself and your family right?
Besides, the majority of these private wells have hard water, meaning the well water contains a high concentration of hardness minerals like calcium and magnesium.
In short, the contaminated well water is not safe to drink and use.
This is the reason why you need to set up the best water filtration system for well water to protect you and your family from harmful substances.
The well water filtration system will purify the well water for your daily usage, whether is drinking, showering or washing.
The Best Whole House Well Water Filtration System Setup
I’m going to show you the ideal whole house water filtration system for well water, it’s a complete solution, and you are free to swap out the filters depending on your well water quality and usage.
Here’s the most complete whole house well water filtration system:
The Best Whole House Well Water Filtration:
2 x sediment filter (1 big micron + 1 medium micron) – to protect the following softener and main filters from large sediments
1 x water softener (if your well water is hard) – remove salts and water hardness
1 x whole house water filtration system (3 stages: 1 small micron sediment, 1 carbon, 1 heavy metal/iron/manganese removal) – remove smaller sediments, chemicals, sulfur, manganese, and heavy metals like iron.
1 x ultraviolet (UV) sterilizer filter – remove potential microorganisms like bacteria, E-Coli, and viruses.
After going through the whole house water filtration system, the well water is now clean and entering your inner house plumbing system.
But it doesn’t mean it’s good enough for drinking purposes, and that’s why you need a few point-of-use (POU) water filtration systems for the best purity water.
The Best Point-of-Use Well Water Filtration:
1 x RO system (for drinking, remineralization for improved taste, alkalinity, and mineral) – Last line of defense (strong defense!) – Reduce TDS level to the minimum, get rid of every remaining contaminant, and improve water alkalinity with natural minerals before drinking.
1 x Shower filter (Showering with rejuvenating water with added minerals, and remove any residual contaminants from the house plumbing system)
1 x Faucet water filter (Remove any remaining contaminants from house plumbing system) – for contaminants-free water to wash your food, ingredient, plates, and your face.
Now the indoor well water filtration system is complete.
But if you need high purify RO water for outdoor purposes like gardening, planting, and others, you’ll need to install a high-flow Reverse Osmosis system for a large volume of outdoor water usage.
Outdoor Use Well Water Filtration:
1 x high flow RO system – Hugely reduce TDS level and contaminants in well water.
Now you have a complete well water filtration that produces the purest and healthiest water for your home for every purpose – drinking, showering, washing, gardening, etc.
Start enjoying the healthiest lifestyle with the purest and healthiest water!
Best Sediment Filters for Well Water Filtration System [Review]
For the first line of defense, it would be a sediment filter.
Depending on your well water quality, if it contains a medium to a high concentration of sediments, I’d suggest using 2 sediment filters back to back with different filtration sizes to get rid of sediment particles before they reach the rest well water filtration system and plumbing pipes.
By doing this, you can extend the lifespan of the rest filters (which are more expensive), and make the whole filtration process more efficient.
Best Sediment Filters for Well Water:
- iSpring WSP100ARB Reusable Spin-down Filter – Best well water sediment filter
- Rusco 2″ Spin Down Sediment Water Filter – High-flow sediment filter
- Aquaboon 4.5” x 20″ Whole House Well Water Filter – Best sediment filter housing
1. iSpring Reusable Spin-down Filter [Review] – Best Well Water Sediment Filter
- Effectively remove sediments, rust, sand, and large particles
- 100-Micron food-grade stainless steel mesh filter
- Flushable and reusable
- Up to 35 GPM flow rate
- Touch-screen auto flushing module
- Built-in Scraper
- High capacity filter
- Transparent housing for easy monitoring
- Pressure-resistant and durable materials
The iSpring WSP100ARB is a reusable spin-down sediment filter with a scraper and auto flushing feature.
You can use the HD touch screen to enable the auto flushing feature and let the filter flush itself automatically on a preset schedule.
The spin-down sediment filter is simple to install and flushable, which makes it a great well water filter before the pressure tank.
This is the most feature-packed spin-down sediment filter with a high flow rate, large capacity, auto-flushing module, and a high-impact good-grade stainless steel mesh filter screen.
The integrated auto flushing module with a scraper saves you time and effort on routine flushing and manual cleaning, just install it and let it take care of itself, no maintenance is needed.
The built-in scraper will effectively scrape off trapped sediment to ensure the filter screen works in optimum condition.
All these great features make it the best whole house sediment filter for well water.
- Reusable and flushable
- Auto maintenance mode
- Stainless steel mesh filter screen
- Built-in scraper
- Lead-free brass filter head
- High flow
- High capacity
- Require batteries or power supply
2. Rusco 2″ Spin Down Sediment Filter [Review] – Best Whole House Sediment Filter for Well Water
This is a flushable spin-down sediment filter for well water that filters out sand and sediments without the need to replace filter cartridges.
It’s like a well water filtration system with a backwash feature, and you can flush it regularly to keep up the performance.
With 100 mesh high-impact molded polyester mesh filter screen to effectively block out sediments with a size larger than 149 microns.
You can also monitor the trapped sediments from the transparent polycarbonate housing.
The 2-inch slip fit PVC inlet and outlet head provides a high flow rate of 100 GPM,
This is by far the highest flow rate sediment filter for well water at 100 GPM, thanks to the 2 inches PVC inlet & outlet head.
If your house water consumption is high, this is the best sediment filter for you to avoid a significant drop in water pressure during the simultaneous use of water.
At 100 Mesh filter size, it’s one of the best well water sand filter systems that separate sand particles from your well water.
Also, it’s a spin-down flushable sediment filter, meaning you don’t have to replace the cartridge every 2 to 3 months, just periodically turn on the purge valve to flush out the accumulated sediments like sand, dirt, and particles via centrifugal action.
- High water flow rate at 100 GPM
- Reusable and flushable
- No need to replace the filter cartridge
- High-impact molded polyester mesh
- High-quality FDA materials
- NSF certified
- Need to flush the sediment filter periodically
3. Aquaboon 4.5 x 20″ Whole House Well Water Filter System [Review] – Best Sediment Filter Housing
The Aquaboon big blue 4.5 x 20″ well water filter system (whole house) is suitable for heavy-sediment well water.
The opaque blue sump is made from polypropylene which is strong and resistant to chemicals, and the black cap is made from high-flow polypropylene for stiffness.
The large capacity sediment filter cartridge allows it to collect more sediments before you need to replace a new one.
Besides, the filter housing is sealed tightly with a double O-ring to prevent leaking.
Prefer to buy a sediment filter cartridge and housing separately?
This Aquaboon whole house filter housing is the best sediment filter housing for well water that you can get in the market.
It has a 20” large filter capacity that lasts about 12 months, which saves your time and hassle in getting a well water sediment filter replacement.
To me, I’ll always go for a 20” filter capacity whenever possible as it lasts longer, so I don’t have to replace it so frequently.
Most importantly, the sediment filter housing is made from strong and high chemical resistant material for a longer lifespan.
For the replacement sediment filters for well water, you can get any compatible cartridge like the iSpring FP220BX2.
- 20” large capacity
- Use with various sizes of the filter
- High-quality housing and cap materials
- High water flow rate
- Need to buy and replace the filter cartridge
Best Water Softeners for Well Water Filtration System [Review]
If your well water is hard, then you should install a water softener to reduce the hardness level and soften the water to prevent scale buildup and stain.
Best Water Softeners for Well Water:
- Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Whole House System – Best Water Softener for Well Water
- AFWFilters 96,000 Grain Dual Tank Water Softener w/ Fleck 9100SXT – Best Dual Tank Water Softener for Well Water
1. Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Whole House System [Review] – Best Water Softener for Well Water
- 64,000 grains high capacity resin pre-loaded in the tank
- Fleck 5600 SXT Digital Metered Water Softener
- Pentair mineral and brine tanks (made in the USA)
- Soften the hard water that causes scale buildup
- Ultra-efficient digital-on-demand water softener valve for salt and water savings
- Built-in capacitor keeps memory up to 48 hours if the power failed
The Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener is a complete whole house water softening unit with a high-efficiency Fleck 5600 SXT Metered control valve and large capacity resin.
The Fleck 5600 SXT Metered Control valve regenerates only when it needs to, based on the measured water usage, which makes the whole process highly efficient and saves you a lot of salt and water!
This softener removes the hardness level in well water by using a process called ion exchange.
The ion exchange process will remove calcium and magnesium ions from the well water, hence extending the life of the main water filters, plumbing system, and home appliances, and prevent scale buildup in your toilets and appliances.
It also comes with a Pentair Scan and Service Application, which allows you to see important information about your water softener at the touch of your fingertips.
The water softener system is made in the USA and ships with the pre-loaded mineral tank.
Still struggling with heavy calcium or magnesium buildup on your bathrooms, fixtures, and appliances?
Just get this water softener, it can change your life!
I have been using this for years and it was working flawlessly until today, highly recommended, it’s easily the best water softener for well water, and you can see the result almost immediately right after installation.
Say goodbye to the time that you spend each month washing away the hard scale using harsh chemicals and soap.
Besides, this size of water softeners can easily cost more than $3000 from market quotes, so this water softener is relatively cheap!
- The high capacity resin of 64,000 grains
- Pre-loaded tank
- High-efficiency SXT Metered Control valve
- Made in the USA
- Simple to install
- Inexpensive for its size
- May take 1-2 hours to install with basic plumbing skill
2. AFWFilters Dual Tank Water Softener 96,000 grain with Fleck 9100SXT [Review] – Best Dual Tank Water Softener for Well Water
- Dual alternating tanks avoid running out of soft water
- Large capacity resin
- Treat high hardness level of well water
- High water flow rate
- Efficient digital system for saving salt and water usage
- Easy to install
AFWFilters WS-96k-91SXT Dual Tank Water Softener with Fleck 9100SXT Digital Metered Control is a complete whole house water softener system that is designed to remove hard water and prevent scale forming.
The digital metered design measures water usage and regenerates as needed to save salts and water.
Want to enjoy soft water all the time?
No problem, this can happen with this dual tank huge capacity water softener.
If your house water is hard and the usage is high, I’ll recommend you to get this dual tank water softener as it can last longer and treat a high level of hardness.
It’s very cheap compared to the market price!
- High capacity dual tank water softener (8% crosslink)
- High-efficiency Fleck 9100SXT alternating digital metered control head
- Alternate tank operation ensure soft water 24/7
- Remove the high level of hardness from water
- A high flow rate of 20 GPM
- Inexpensive for its size
- Easy to install
- Big physical size
Best Whole House Water Filtration System for Well Water [Review]
To supply clean and safe water to your house for daily usage, you’ll need a great performance whole house water filtration system.
Best Whole House Filtration System for Well Water:
- Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter – Best Overall
- Aquasana Rhino Whole House Water Filter with UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler – Best Purification
- Home Master Whole House Water Filter – Best for Well Water
1. Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter [Review] – Best for Well Water with Heavy Metals
- Strong filtration performance against sediments, chlorine, chloramine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), heavy metals, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, fungi, etc.
- Fast water filtration rate at 15 GPM with no pressure loss
- High filter capacity that lasts up to 100,000 gallons or 12 months
- Quick and easy filter replacement
- The 1st-stage housing is translucent for easy monitoring
- With 3 pressure gauges & release buttons
The Express Water Heavy Metal WH300SCKS is a 3-stage whole-home filtration system that is designed to remove and reduce a wide range of harmful contaminants like lead, iron, mercury, nickel, copper, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, fungi, rust, silt, chlorine, chloramine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, cadmium, chromium, viruses, turbidity, cloudiness, and many more.
Here are the 3 stages of filtration:
1st Stage – 4 Gradients Sediment Filter (PP): Block all the large particles like rust, sand, dirt, silt, and stone from damaging the rest filters, your home appliances, and piping systems.
2nd Stage – Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF85) Filter: Focus on heavy metals and contaminants like chloramine, chlorine, arsenic, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, algae, fungi, lead, iron, aluminum, mercury, viruses, and more.
3rd Stage – Activated Carbon Block (ACB): Remove chemical contaminants like chlorine, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, turbidity, total organic carbon (TOC), volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), and unpleasant taste and odor.
This point-of-entry whole house system is capable to supply a large volume of clean water to the entire house to protect you and your family from showering with harsh chlorine and appliances breakdown due to water contaminants.
For convenience, the first filter housing is translucent so you can see your filter and know when it needs to be replaced without dismantling the system.
Besides, all the components and filters are independently tested and verified to meet NSF/ANSI standards.
So, let’s start using clean and healthy water for your house, family members, pets, plants, appliances, clothes, cooking, showering, and more!
If you’re looking for an all-rounded whole house filtration system that will give you peace of mind, then this Express Water Heavy Metal is the best one you can get.
It’s not only effective against common contaminants like sediments, chlorine, VOCs, and chemicals, but also great against difficult contaminants like heavy metals (eg: lead, iron), chloramine, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, and microorganisms.
The KDF85 filter at the second stage makes this one of the effective well water filtration systems for sulfur.
Aside from the filtration performance, the whole system is built from durable materials to last longer and comes with three individual pressure gauges for system monitoring and maintenance.
This heavy-duty whole house water system also comes with a stainless-steel freestanding frame, which comes in handy if you don’t feel like drilling and mounting the water system.
Based on the overall performance from filtration power, water flow rate, filter capacity, material quality, and cost, I’ll say this is simply the best well water filtration system for iron and other heavy metals.
- Strong filtration performance against heavy metals, sulfur, hydrogen sulfate, and chloramine
- Suitable for both well and city water
- High water filtration rate
- Long-lasting filter
- Durable materials
- Comes with a stainless-steel freestanding frame
- Great water taste
- With 3 individual pressure gauges and release buttons
- Great customer service
- Reasonable price
- Quick and easy filter replacement
- Will spill some water during filter replacement
- The installation manual is not detail
- May cause leaking if over tighten the pressure gauge
2. Aquasana Rhino Whole House Water Filter with UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler [Review] – Best Purification
- Effectively remove and reduce harmful contaminants like chlorine, VOCs, pesticides, herbicides, lead, mercury, bacteria, and viruses
- With a salt-free water conditioner to soften the water
- With a UV filter to kill microorganisms like bacteria and viruses
- Ultra-long filter life up to 1 million gallons of filtration or 10 years
- Up to 7 GPM water filtration rate
- Unique Upflow, Dual-tank design
- Easy maintenance
The Aquasana Rhino EQ-1000-AST-UV is an ultra-high capacity whole house well water filtration system that comes with a salt-free Scale Control Media (SCM) and UV purifier to maximize the filtration performance while keeping the essential minerals in the water.
It’s a high-performance whole house water filter and softener combo for well water.
Here’s the breakdown of this powerful whole house water filtration system:
1st Stage – Sediment Pre-Filter: To block larger particles like rust, dust, and sand from entering the rest filters to prolong their lifespan.
2nd Stage – Salt-Free Water Conditioner (Descaler): To soften the incoming water and prevents scale buildup from minerals without the use of salt or chemical.
3rd Stage – Activated Carbon & KDF Filtration Media: Focus on the majority of contaminants like chlorine, chloramine, herbicides, pesticides, industrial solvents, VOCs, lead, mercury, sulfur, and more.
4th Stage – 0.35 Micron Post-Filter: Remove any impurities that are smaller than 0.35 micron.
5th Stage – UV Purifier: Disinfecting 99.99% of microorganisms like bacteria, cysts, and viruses.
This powerful filtration system supplies clean water to your entire house, allowing you to get healthier skin and hair from showering.
Besides, the salt-free water conditioner can prevent scale forming to protect your home plumbing system and appliances, which makes it a great water filtration system for salt and hardness.
To maintain a high water flow rate, the pre-filter and post-filter need to be replaced every 3 months.
If you simply want the best water filtration for your home, this is the one.
But, this Aquasana well water filtration system goes beyond by adding a salt-free water conditioner to prevent scale buildup, a submicron post-filter to block particles down to 0.35 micron, and a UV purifier to kill 99.99% of microorganisms, giving you the most complete protection.
If your water source is hard, you’ll notice a significant improvement in the softness right after installing this whole house system, which is good for your skin and hair.
Moreover, the main filter can last up to 1 million gallons of filtration or 10 years, which is 10 times more than most other whole-house systems.
Available Downgrade Options:
If you just want its high capacity without the water conditioner and UV filter, you may get the Aquasana Home Filtration EQ-1000 here.
- Powerful water filtration against a wide range of contaminants
- Effectively remove potential microorganisms in water
- Reduce sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, heavy metals, and bad smell
- Great for both well and city water
- Soften the water without adding salt
- Prevent scales from building up
- Ultra-long filter life
- Great water taste
- Will not reduce total dissolved solids (TDS)
- Customer service can be improved
- High upfront investment
- Take time to set up the whole system
- Large physical size
3. Home Master HMF3SDGFEC Whole House Water Filter [Review] – Best for Well Water
- Effectively remove sediments, chemicals, iron, manganese, sulfur smell, chlorine taste and odor, pesticides, herbicides, and more contaminants.
- Down to 1-micron filtration with a multi-gradient density sediment filter.
- Up to 15 GPM (gallons per minute) water flow rate.
- A large capacity coconut shell carbon filter
- Replace every 100,000 gallons or 12 months.
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is a 3-stage whole house water filter that consists of a multi-gradient sediment filter, a radial flow iron, manganese, and sulfur reduction filter, and a radial flow carbon filter which make it the ideal point of entry filtration system for your home.
Here’s the breakdown of each filter stage and its function:
1st stage filter: 4 layers depth multi-gradient polypropylene (PP) sediment filter to remove sediments, bacterial, and other contaminants down to 1 micron.
2nd stage filter: Radial flow iron, manganese, and sulfur reduction filter to lower down iron, manganese, and sulfur contents in well water significantly.
3rd stage filter: Radial flow highest-grade coconut shell granular activated carbon (GAC) filter to remove chemicals, bad taste, and odor.
The combination provides strong filtration against sediments, iron, manganese, chemicals, sulfur, bad taste and odor, bacterial, and more contaminants which make it the perfect whole house filter for non-chlorinated well water with a pH level above 7.0 and no iron bacteria.
Tip: To know the well water condition, you may get your well water analysis from the lab before buying.
Besides, the 1-inch ports housing provide high-pressure water and a fast flow rate of up to 15 GPM for simultaneous water needs.
Also, the large capacity filters allowed it to last for 12 months which reduces your maintenance frequency and cost.
If your private water well is contaminated with Iron, Manganese, and Sulfur with not more than 3 ppm combined load, then this filter is what you need, just get it.
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is designed to turn the well water into clean and safe water and deliver it to all your faucet at home without a noticeable water pressure drop.
It’s the ideal whole house water filter to treat well water!
- Strong filtration for sediments, chemicals, iron, manganese, sulfur, bad taste, and odor
- Effectively reduce iron contents in water to protect your home appliances and prevent staining on your clothes and floors
- Low water pressure drop for high water flow
- Simple installation
- Great customer service from Perfect Water Technologies
- Can’t get rid of Iron, Manganese, and Sulfur smell completely
- Not suitable to filter acidic water with a pH level less than 7
- Unable to handle well water with a high concentration of the Iron, Manganese, and Sulfur
Best UV Sterilizer Filter for Well Water Filtration [Review]
Ultraviolet is one of the most effective and recommended ways to treat harmful microorganisms like bacteria, mold, and viruses in the well water.
Make sure you put the UV filter after the sediment filters as the particles will shatter the UV light and make it less effective.
Best UV Sterilizer Filter:
- HQUA UV Sterilizer Water Filter – Best UV Sterilizer for Well Water
1. HQUA-OWS-12 Ultraviolet Whole House Water Purifier Filter [Review] – Best UV Filter for Well Water
- Effectively kill 99.99% of harmful microorganisms
- 12 GPM rated water flow
- Easy installation
- High-quality 304 stainless steel & quartz glass material
- Last for 12 months
This UV filter is capable of destroying 99.99% of microorganisms like E.Cole, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium which are commonly found in well water.
Ultraviolet is a chemical-free and environmentally friendly physical process to treat dangerous microbes in water sources.
The UV light will damage the DNA of microorganisms and render them harmless.
When the well water passes through the reactor chamber, the UV lamp inside it will destroy all the microbes in the chamber.
The UV sterilizer filter is rated at 12 GPM.
Microbes like bacteria and viruses are dangerous to human health, and these microorganisms could be living in your well water.
So to protect your family from these harmful microorganisms, one of the effective ways is to install an ultraviolet sterilizer to kill them before they reach your house plumbing system.
For safety reasons, I highly recommend you install an HQUA-OWS-12 Whole House UV Filter to treat these harmful microbes in your well water.
Do note that the water quality will affect its performance significantly, so make sure you install it after the sediment filter, water softener, and whole house filter to reduce the sediment, hardness, iron, manganese, and turbidity.
- Kill 99.99% of microorganisms
- High flow rate
- High-quality 304 stainless steel & quartz glass
- Environmental friendly
- Easy installation
- Require electricity
Best Reverse Osmosis System for Well Water Filtration [Review]
To further purify the water for drinking purposes, you’ll need a Reverse Osmosis system to greatly reduce the TDS level and contaminants in the water.
Best Reverse Osmosis System for Well Water:
- Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection Reverse Osmosis System – Best Overall
- Waterdrop WD-G3-W Tankless RO Water Filter – Best Tankless Reverse Osmosis
- APEC Top Tier Supreme RO-PH90 – Best Value RO system
1. Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection Reverse Osmosis System [Review] – Best Overall
- Effectively remove 98% of heavy metals, iron, and more contaminants in well water
- Full Contact technology adds calcium and magnesium minerals twice for better taste
- Long-lasting filters up to 12 months of 2,000 gallons of water
- Included an iron pre-filter to protect the RO memfe
- UV filter destroys harmful microorganisms like bacteria and viruses in well water
- Permeate Pump maximize the water pressure for better water efficiency
- Modular design for easy filter replacements
The Home Master HydroPerfection is a 9-stage Reverse Osmosis system that filters purifies, sterilizes, and enhances incoming water to produce pure, clean, and healthy drinking water.
It can effectively remove 98% of sediment, heavy metals, iron, hydrogen sulfide, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, dissolved solids, herbicides, pesticides. chloramines, chlorine, and more harmful contaminants from the water.
The RO system also comes with an iron pre-filter that contains a redox media KDF85 to protect the RO membrane from dissolved iron that is commonly found in well water.
One common problem faced by most traditional Reverse Osmosis systems is the wastewater ratio, typically at 4:1 to 3:1, meaning about 3 to 4 liter of water is wasted in producing 1 liter of RO water.
But the Home Master HydroPerfection innovative design solves this problem with its permeate pump, resulting in an up to 50% increase in water production rate and up to 80% reduction in water waste.
The ultraviolet (UV) light sterilization chamber will kill 99.99% of microorganisms to protect your family’s health.
Remineralization improves water’s pH level and taste and prevents storage tank degradation with non-acidic mineralized RO water. The water is mineralized before entering the storage tank and before reaching the water faucet.
The modular filter design solves the leaking and biofilm build-up issue with the canister filter housing design.
In canister filter housing design, only the filters are replaced but not the housing, so eventually, the biofilm and microorganisms can accumulate in the canister housing, causing leaking issues. While for the modular filter design, the entire filter and housing are disposable, so you just need to get a whole new set as a replacement.
The good news is, the whole system can last up to 12 months or 2,000 gallons of water.
If you are looking for a powerful RO system that produces the best tasting water, this is the one you need!
Its superior performance and features have made it one of the best Reverse Osmosis Systems on the market.
It purifies and remineralizes the water, has a high water flow rate, with about a 1:1 ratio for water waste, it can be your best investment ever.
From my research, I found that the majority of buyers have positive reviews in using this RO filter for months to years, which you can rest assured of the product quality in the long run.
Real User Reviews for Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection RO System:
More positive reviews:
“A month after installation I’m completely satisfied and thrilled with the performance of this system.”
“Six weeks after installation the system is humming along flawlessly producing amazing, great tasting water and ice”
“If you’re looking for the best tasting water, get this RO system. It re-mineralizes the water. I think it tastes similar to Fiji bottled water and Fiji is one of my favorites.”
“The quality of the water produced by the system is incredible.”
“The water is delicious! I’m so pleased. Pressure is awesome. It’s so good I routinely underestimate it in the morning and spray water all over myself lol”
- Effectively remove 98% of contaminants
- Destroys 99.99% of viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms
- Greatly reduce TDS level
- Adds minerals to water
- Eliminating TDS creep
- Better water efficiency
- High water flow rate
- Modular filters design
- Long-lasting filter life
- NSF certified
- Easy installation
- Take some time to install
- Require electricity for the UV filter
- Many tubes crossing around
If you already have filters that take care of microorganisms and dissolved iron, you may consider the Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian at a lower cost, it has all the features of HydroPerfection except the iron pre-filter and UV chamber.
2. Waterdrop WD-G3-W Tankless RO Water Filter [Review] – Best Tankless Reverse Osmosis
- Effectively remove 99% of major contaminants in tap water
- Tankless design
- An intelligent water filtration system
- Quick and easy installation
- Quick 1-turn filter change
- Space efficient
- Fast water filtration rate of 400 GDP
- Efficient wastewater to clean water ratio of 1:1
- Cool design
- Smart faucet
The Waterdrop WD-G3-W is an innovative high-performance tankless Reverse Osmosis water filtration system that’s capable to remove most contaminants in tap water with filtration size down to 0.0001um.
With the combination of sediment filter, activated carbon, and reverse osmosis technology, this water filtration system can effectively remove a wide range of contaminants such as chlorine taste and odor, heavy metals (eg: lead, mercury, copper), carcinogens (eg: cadmium, chromium), microorganisms (eg: cysts, bacteria), Inorganic contaminants (eg: arsenic, fluoride), organic contaminants (benzene, lindane), total dissolved solids (TDS), turbidity, and more.
Here’s the breakdown of the Waterdrop 3-stage water filtration system:
Stage 1 – CF Filter (PP + Activated Carbon): Removes rust, sand, silt, chlorine taste and odor, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and more particulates.
Stage 2 – RO Filter (RO membrane): Removes contaminants like heavy metals, microorganisms, and inorganic compounds, and reduce total dissolved solids (TDS) and scale.
Stage 3 – CB Filter (Activated Carbon): Improve water taste.
Moreover, the tankless design takes up less space and protects the system from secondary pollution like bacteria growth.
Also, with the help of an internal pump, this tankless RO system is producing pure water at a 400 GPD rate, which is about 5 times most Reverse Osmosis systems in the market, no more waiting time for filling up your water bottle or cup.
Water efficiency is another factor to consider in this tankless Reverse Osmosis system. With a wastewater to clean water ratio of 1:1, it can save a lot of water and reduce your water bill.
Note: You need to flush the whole system for at least 30 minutes or 8.5 gallons of water after installation. Alternatively, you may flush and wait until the blue light on the faucet stop flashing.
Want a powerful Reverse Osmosis system but without the cons like slow filtration rate, water tank, a large amount of wastewater, complex installation, and bulky in size?
The answer is the Waterdrop WD-G3-W Tankless Reverse Osmosis system.
It’s nice-looking, compact in size, strong filtration performance, no water tank, fast water filtration rate, easy installation, quick filter replacement, less wastewater, smart faucet, smart leakage detector, and embedded with sensors to remind filter life, water quality, and TDS value in real-time.
Also, this tankless RO system comes with a leakage protector that monitors leakage in real-time and will cut off water and power supply automatically in case leaking happens to protect your property and electrical appliances.
I also like the smart faucet that indicates the filter status, so that I don’t have to open up the bottom cabinet and check every time.
Basically, I think the only con is the price.
However, in the long run, the greater water efficiency (1:1) does compensate for the extra cost of the system with the lower monthly water bills.
If you can afford it, get it and you won’t regret it, it’s really good.
- Strong water filtration power
- Fast water filtration rate with an internal pump
- 1:1 wastewater to clean water ratio
- Compact and space-efficient
- Tankless design
- Fast and easy installation
- Quick filter replacement
- Good quality materials
- With leakage detector
- Comes with a smart and lead-free faucet
- Require electricity
Waterdrop G3 discount code: Apply the code “BRIZG3” on the official Waterdrop store to enjoy an exclusive $55 OFF for the Waterdrop G3!
3. APEC Top Tier Supreme RO-PH90 [Review] – Best Value
- 6-stages reverse osmosis drinking water filter system
- High flow rate at 90 GPD
- Improved water taste by raising pH level and neutralizing acidity in the water
- Provide high-purity mineralized drinking water with calcite remineralization
Come with 100% lead-free and metal premium designer faucet and FDA Certified JG food grade tubing for safe and contamination-free drinking water.
Come with 100% US-made high-purity calcium carbonate to enhance pH in the water, which is great for those who looking for alkaline water.
Also, the APEC Top Tier Supreme RO-PH90 water filter comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty and lifetime support to provide you with peace of mind.
Capable to remove 99% of contaminants including chlorine, lead, bacteria, fluoride, virus, heavy metal, arsenic, and more.
Nonetheless, the water filter is WQA certified.
For me, the water filter system is quite easy to install as there’s nothing complicated to put the system up, mostly just plug in the right color tubes into the right places.
Also, the instruction given is very clear and even come with pictures, I just follow it closely and get the job done in under an hour.
Oh ya, remember to flush the system first before you start drinking the water. To do that, after you installed the system, open your water supply and tank valve to fill up the tank (for me it took about 2.5 hours). Once the tank is full, drain it until empty and repeat the same process one more time.
Once the system is flushed, it’s time to enjoy your clean and tasty water directly from the tap!
- Strong filtration performance
- High water flow rate
- High-quality material
- Easy installation
- No leak stopper
Best Shower Filter for Well Water Filtration System [Review]
After the main whole house water filtration system, the water is clean and safe.
But, when the water travels in the house plumbing system, it may carry up some leaching contaminants like rust, lead, and chemical along the way to your shower head.
So, to have the cleanest and rejuvenating water for your showering session, you may install shower filters for your bathrooms.
I’ve hand-picked the top 2 best shower filters for you:
- AquaBliss SF100 Revitalizing Shower Filter – Best Shower Filter
- AquaHomeGroup AHG12S Luxury Shower Head Filter – Best Shower Head Filter
1. AquaBliss SF100 Revitalizing Shower Filter [Review] – Best Filtration Shower Filter
- 12-Stage water filtrations and rejuvenations remove harmful contaminants and restore damaged skin, hair, and nails at the same time
- Inhibits the growth of mold, fungi, scale, and algae
- Prevent dry itchy skin, red rash, scrap dandruff, eczema, brittle nails, and hair fallout after bath
- Soften hard water
- Balance water pH level with beneficial minerals
- Lasts for 12,000 gallons of filtration or 6 months
- Fit all shower types
The AquaBliss SF100 is a 12-stage shower filter that consists of sediment filters, KDF 55, calcium sulfite, activated carbon, and ceramic balls to deliver maximum water filtration and revitalization to nourish your hair, skin, and nails.
The shower filter can effectively remove and reduce contaminants like chlorine taste and odor, pesticides, lead, nickel, mercury, chromium, and bacteria at the same time preventing the growth of scale, mold, fungi, and algae.
Here’s the breakdown of the 12 stages of water filtration:
- Stage 1 – Ultra-Fine Stainless Steel Mesh: Block sediments like sand, silt, and rust.
- Stage 2 – Micro-Porous PP Cotton: Remove smaller sediments like dust and turpitudes.
- Stage 3 – Calcium Sulfite: Remove chlorine chemicals from tap water (hot and cold).
- Stage 4 – KDF 55/Redox Media: Remove heavy metals, chlorine, bacteria, and more from tap water (hot and cold).
- Stage 5 – Activated Carbon: Focus on chlorine, trihalomethanes (THM’s), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and more contaminants.
- Stage 6 – Far Infrared Balls: Increase oxygen and negative ions levels in tap water.
- Stage 7 – Zeolite Ceramic Balls: Get rid of heavy metals and deliver revitalizing minerals into the water.
- Stage 8 – Ceramic Vitamin C Balls: Release Vitamin C into the water.
- Stage 9 – Tourmaline: Naturally revitalize water to enhance skin, hair, and nails.
- Stage 10 – Magnetic Energy Balls: Energize water to nourish skin, hair, and nails.
- Stage 11 – Micro-Porous PP Cotton: Remove smaller sediments and impurities.
- Stage 12 – Ultra-Fine Stainless Steel Mesh: Block medium size sediments.
Compared to other shower filters that focus more on rejuvenation (70-80%),
the AquaBliss SF100 dedicate 75% of the effort to water filtration and 25% to rejuvenation.
If you’re suffering from heavily chlorinated city water, this shower filter is what you need to install in your bathroom. It has 3 filtration media to deal with the Chlorine chemical, which are the KDF 55, Calcium Sulfite, and Activated Carbon.
Besides, it also contains media that infuse Vitamin C and beneficial minerals into the water to promote healthy hair, skin, and nails naturally.
Don’t plan to buy a whole house water filtration system but still want to have filtered shower water?
This is the best shower filter to be installed before your rain shower head.
- Great water filtration performance
- Infuse beneficial minerals to enhance your hair, skin, and nails
- Soften the tap water
- Prevent dry itchy skin, red rash, hair fallout, and dandruff
- Good material quality
- Prevent scale forming
- Cannot remove Chloramine
- Cannot reduce total dissolved solids (TDS)
2. AquaHomeGroup AHG12S Luxury Shower Head Filter [Review] – Best Shower Head Filter
- 15 stages of water filtration and revitalization
- Remove sediments, chlorine, heavy metals, and more contaminants
- Revitalizing body with beneficial minerals
- Comes with a premium metal shower head
- Internal filter cartridge with Vitamin C+E
- Quick and easy installation
- Lasts up to 6 months of usage for a family of four
- Fit all shower types
The AquaHomeGroup AHG12S Luxury Shower Head Filter is a 15-stage premium quality shower head filter that can effectively remove harmful contaminants in water, reduce water hardness, and infuse beneficial Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and minerals into the water to provide you a rejuvenating showering session.
Here are the 15 stages of filtration and rejuvenation:
- Stage 1 – Ultra-fine Stainless Steel Mesh: Remove larger sediments.
- Stage 2 – PP Cotton: Remove medium and smaller sediments.
- Stage 3 – High-Density Stainless Steel Mesh: Remove sediments and impurities.
- Stage 4 – Alkaline Ceramic Balls: Boost water alkalinity and enhance water pH level
- Stage 5 – Maifan Stone: Remove heavy metals and deliver micro-nutrients (eg: calcium, zinc, and magnesium) into the water that is great for the skin.
- Stage 6 – KDF 55: Remove heavy metals, chlorine, and more contaminants.
- Stage 7 – Microporous Ceramic Balls: Inhibit the growth of bacteria and microorganisms.
- Stage 8 – Vitamin C: Infuse Vitamin C into the water.
- Stage 9 – Coconut Activated Carbon: Remove chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and more chemicals.
- Stage 10 – Germanium Balls: Mild to the skin and Improve body immunity, cell activity, and metabolism.
- Stage 11 – Dechlorination Ball Calcium Sulfite: Remove chlorine from both hot and cold water.
- Stage 12 – Magnetic Energy Ceramic Balls: Energize water with oxygen to improve skin, hair, and nails.
- Stage 13 – Ultra-fine Stainless Steel Mesh: Remove larger sediments.
- Stage 14 – PP Cotton: Remove medium and smaller sediments.
- Stage 15 – High-Density Stainless Steel Mesh: Remove residual sediments and impurities.
- Shower Head Stage – Vitamin C + E: Deliver Vitamin C and E into the water.
Want a premium shower head filter for your bathroom?
This is your best pick!
Great water filtration and rejuvenation, nice looking, good material quality, and suitable for both well water and city water, all these advantages make it the best shower head filter for your home.
Being a shower head filter (shower filter + rain shower head), the installation is easier as you just need to install the whole thing to the rainshower water pipe will do.
- Great water filtration and rejuvenation
- Great water pressure
- Soften water
- Prevent scale forming
- Gentle to skin, hair, and nails
- Remove chlorine smell
- Quick and easy installation
- Nice looking design
- Good material quality
- Fixed showering mode
Best Faucet Filter for Well Water Filtration System [Review]
If you want to ensure the water coming out from the faucet is free from contaminants and chemicals, faucet filters are a great solution.
The faucet filters act as the last line of defense to block any contaminant coming out from the faucet, giving you clean water for daily usages like washing food ingredients, plates, hands, and face.
Here are the two best faucet water filters for well water:
1. Engdenton Faucet Water Filter [Review] – Best Overall
- Incorporate an Activated Carbon Fiber (ACF) filter to remove rust, sand, chlorine, bad taste, and more contaminants
- Made with food-grade 304 stainless steel housing for leak-proof, cracking-proof, and durability
- High water flow rate from 0.5 to 0.8 gallons per minute
- Simple and quick installation
- Replace every 6 months or 320 gallons of water
The Engdenton faucet water filter is a high-flow ACF filter encapsulated with high-quality food-grade 304 stainless steel housing that can effectively filter out unwanted contaminants in water with its 0.5 microns filtration.
The ACF filter itself is anti-bacteria to ensure clean and safe drinkable water for your family.
The fast water flow rate is a bonus as you don’t have to wait long to fill up your bottle or cup.
As a faucet water filter, the Engdenton faucet water filter does its job perfectly by providing basic water filtration to supply clean and tasty water constantly to you and your family.
The good about using a faucet water filter is there’s no extra space needed to store the water filter system, just install it to your faucet (few minutes) and get your filtered water.
Also, the nice-looking robust 304 stainless steel faucet filter housing is definitely worth the additional top-up as it can sustain high water pressure and prevent you from the trouble of water leakage issues due to filter housing crack (it makes your kitchen look classy).
Lastly, I like the 360-degree adjustable faucet filter housing as you can just rotate it and drink directly from the filter output without getting your cup (I’m kinda lazy sometimes and I admit it).
- Good filtration technology with the ACF filter
- Great faucet filter housing material (304 food-grade stainless steel)
- High water filtration flow rate save your time in filling up your bottle and cup
- Easy and fast to install and dismantle
- Long-lasting filter with up to 320 gallons of water or 6 months
- Affordable replacement filter costs
- Can only filter out limited numbers of contaminants and impurities in water
- The faucet water filter can reduce chlorine but not remove it completely
- Suitable to install on the standard faucet only
2. Waterdrop WD-FC-01 Faucet Water Filter [Review] – Best Value
- Effectively reduce 93% of chlorine, lead, fluoride, and more contaminants
- High filtration rate at 0.5 GPM
- Long-lasting filter life up to 320 gallons of water filtration or 3 months of usage
- Leak-proof technology
- Simple switching mechanism between filtered and unfiltered water
- Compatible with most standard faucets
- Incompatible with hand-held, pull-out, spray style, and sensor type faucets
The Waterdrop WD-FC-01 faucet water filter is a multi-stage filtration system with activated carbon fiber (ACF) that is capable to reduce lead, fluoride, chlorine, and more contaminants in tap water.
Here’s the breakdown of the filtration layers:
- 1st-stage – Stainless steel mesh: To block and remove larger particles from tap water.
- 2nd-stage – Pre-sediment layer: To remove smaller particles like rust, sand, and more.
- 3rd-stage – Activated carbon fiber (ACF): The core layer to get rid of chlorine taste and odor.
- 4th-stage – Advanced filtration layer: To reduce lead, fluoride, and other contaminants.
- 5th-stage – Post-filtration: Function similar to 2nd-stage pre-sediment.
- 6th-stage – Stainless steel mesh: Function similar to the 1st-stage layer.
The good about this faucet water filter is its core activated carbon fiber (ACF) at 0.5-micron pore size, which can adsorb the majority of contaminants on top of chlorine removal.
Also, the reduction of lead and fluoride is a bonus here.
The other thing I like about this faucet water filter is the 320 gallons lifespan, which reduces the frequency and cost of cartridge replacement.
Aside from filtration functionality, the faucet filter comes with several adapters that allow it to be fit on most standard faucets.
I also love the clean and neat faucet design.
- Great water taste
- Strong filtration down to 0.5 micron
- Capable to reduce lead and fluoride
- Long-lasting filter life
- High water flow rate
- Leak-proof design
- Quick and simple installation
- Low filter replacement cost
- Nice and simple design
- Smooth switching between filtered and unfiltered water
- Can’t fit on all faucet
- Improper installation may cause leaking easily.
- Need to control your finger force when swiveling the lever to avoid loose connection.
- It cannot be used for cold and hot water
Want extra saving? Buy from Waterdrop official website and use code “BRIZFEEL5” during checkout for additional 5% discount!
Best Outdoor Reverse Osmosis System for Well Water Filtration [Review]
If you are looking for RO water for your lawn and gardening use, I’d highly recommend the Hydro-Logic 31023 1000-GPD Evolution RO1000 High Flow RO System.
1. Hydro-Logic 31023 1000-GPD Evolution RO1000 High Flow RO System [Review] – Best High-Flow RO System
- High filtration rate at 1000 GPD
- High efficient 2:1 waste to filtered water ratio
- Effectively remove a majority of contaminants in water
- Hugely reduce TDS level in the water
- Durable polypropylene material
- Tankless RO system
The Hydro-Logic 31023 Evolution RO1000 is a 1,000 GPD high flow RO system that can be used for high volume RO water applications like gardening.
With a 1,000 GPD production rate, you don’t have to wait for hours to water your garden, but minutes.
This powerful tankless RO system has one of the highest water flow rates in the market, capable of producing 1000 gallons of purified water per day, compared to most household RO systems at only 50-75 GPD.
It has double RO membranes and one KDF/Carbon filter to filter out most of the contaminants in well water as well as bringing down the TDS level to the minimum, giving you clean water for your gardening plants and more.
If you are looking for a high output RO system for your garden, this is one!
- A high output of RO water
- Efficient waste to clean water ratio
- Strong water filtration
- Hugely reduce TDS level in the water
- Tankless design
- Easy to install
Here’s What I Look For In The Best Well Water Filtration System
The Best Well Water Filtration System Is Highly Effective In Removing Contaminants Found In Your Well Water
As different wells are exposed to different types of contaminants, so the best well water filtration system for your home should be the one that can effectively remove the contaminants that existed in your well.
For instance, if your well water contains heavy metals, then your whole-house well water filtration system should contain a filter that can remove heavy metals like a KDF filter and not a filter that removes Chlorine chemicals.
In other words, you need a targeted contaminants removal filtration system for your well water.
The Best Well Water Filtration System Is Durable and Long-lasting
A great well water filtration system should be durable and long-lasting to allow you to use it for a long period without the need to repair or replace the system due to breakdown.
I will only look for well water filters that are made of high-quality and safe materials to ensure the filtered water to my home is safe to use and drink.
The Best Well Water Filtration System Is Providing High Water Flow Rate
A high water flow rate is important to ensure a good experience in using water. The best well water filtration system should not only provide clean water to your home but also a great experience in using the water.
What’s the point of getting the cleanest water if your family members are suffered from low water pressure which ruins their water-using experience.
The Best Well Water Filtration System Is Affordable
The best well water filtration system should be affordable to you and give you the best value of what you spent.
Never spend on an expensive or overpriced well water filtration system that is beyond your needs.
How to Setup the Best Well Water Filtration System for Home [Buyer’s Guide]
There are more than 40 million private wells in the United States that have bad water quality issues.
The contaminated well water brings a lot of troubles and problems to households and seriously impacted their quality of life.
Fortunately, the well water quality issues can be solved by using the best well water filter system.
However, with so many options and misinformation in the water treatment market, it is hard to find the right well water filters for your house.
That is the reason why I created this in-depth buyer’s guide to help you in setting up the best water filtration system for well water.
Types of Water Filtration Systems for Well Water
There are two major types of water filtration systems, which are point-of-entry (POE) and point-of-use (POU).
The point-of-entry filtration systems refer to the water filters that treat the water at entry-level to ensure clean water from every tap in the house.
Some of the POE filtration systems are sediment filter, whole house water filter, and water softener.
The point-of-use filtration systems treat the water right before using it, whether it is for drinking, showering, or washing.
Some of the POU filtration systems are the Reverse Osmosis system, shower filter, faucet filter, water filter pitcher, under-sink water filter, and countertop system.
Each of the different types of filtration systems can remove specific types of contaminants.
The best whole house water filtration system for well water is consist of different types of water filter to achieve the optimum filtration performance.
Types of Water Filters for Well Water
Here are the five types of water filters that are used to build the best water filtration system for well water.
Sediment filters are the most basic water filters for well water.
They are very effective in blocking larger particles like sand, rust, dust, and dirt from flowing through.
The structure of sediment filters is like a strainer with many microscopic pores rated at micron.
They are commonly found in multi-stage water filtration systems to function as a pre-filter to protect the rest filters from getting clogged by large impurities.
They are cheap and easy to replace too.
Activated Carbon Filters
There are mainly two variations of carbon filters, which are granular activated carbon (GAC) and activated carbon block (ACB).
Activated carbon filters are one of the most popular filters in the filtration market.
Activated carbon filters are effective against chemicals like Chlorine, pesticides, and herbicides, bad taste and odor, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and particles.
The large surface areas can trap the impurities via adsorption when the well water is flowing through their tiny pores.
The activated carbon filter is also used as a pre-filter for Reverse Osmosis System to protect the RO membrane from harsh chlorine.
Their filtration capabilities and affordable price make them the most widely used filter across water filtration applications including well water treatment systems.
Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) media consist of high purity copper and zinc granules that can effectively reduce Chlorine and heavy metals in well water via a process called oxidation-reduction.
Besides, the KDF media also inhibit bacteria growth, which makes it a great choice for well water with bacteria.
Reverse Osmosis Filters
Reverse Osmosis filters are one of the strongest water filters that are capable to remove a majority of contaminants.
The Reverse Osmosis filter force the well water to pass through a semi-permeable membrane, leaving most of the impurities on the surface which will be flush away.
They can remove the finest particles with their submicron RO membrane rated at 0.0001 microns, including total dissolved solids (TDS).
A Reverse Osmosis filter is the best drinking water filtration system for well water.
Ultraviolet (UV) Filters
UV filters are used to kill microorganisms like bacteria and viruses.
The UV lamp will release ultraviolet rays into well water and destroy every microorganism along the path.
UV filters are the most effective way to treat microorganisms and pathogens aside from Chlorination.
Types of Water Treatment Systems for Well Water
There are two types of well water treatment systems that are used to treat and condition the hard well water.
Most well waters contain a high level of hardness minerals like calcium and magnesium.
Hard water will form limescale on surfaces and eventually damage your household appliances and plumbing system.
Hard water is also bad for your skin, hair, and nails, and may result in chronic health issues.
Salt-based water softeners are the most effective solution to hard water.
They use salts to effectively remove hardness minerals via Ion-Exchange and soften the hard water, which make them the best water treatment system for well water.
Water descalers also refer as salt-free water softeners and water conditioners.
They can prevent limescale caused by hard water without the use of salt.
Water descalers will not soften the hard water, they alter the structure of hardness minerals via physical, electronic, or chemical processes so that the hard minerals cannot form limescale.
They are not as effective as salt-based water softeners and cannot treat well water with extreme hardness.
However, they are cheaper, require little or no maintenance, and do not produce wastewater, which them alternatives to salt-based water softeners.
Potential Contaminants to be Removed by the Best Well Water Filtration System
In this section, I will be discussing the potential contaminants in well water and the respective filters to remove them.
The best well water treatment systems should be able to remove most of the contaminants in your well water.
Here are the filters and water treatment devices commonly used in the water filtration system for well water:
- Sediment Filter: Removes rust, sand, dirt, dust, silt, and all particles bigger than the filter’s pore size.
- Activated Carbon Filter: Removes or reduces Chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), pesticides, herbicides, PFAS, haloacetic acid, industrial solvents, bad taste, odor, and all impurities bigger than its pore size.
- KDF Filter: Removes or reduces Chlorine, heavy metals, and hydrogen sulfide, and inhibit bacterial growth.
- Reverse Osmosis Filter: Removes or reduces most of the contaminants including fluoride, arsenic, dissolved solids, bacteria, cysts, and some viruses.
- Ultraviolet (UV) Filter: Remove microorganisms like bacteria and viruses.
- Water Softener: Removes calcium, magnesium, and ferrous iron.
How to Remove or Reduce Iron from Well Water
Iron is commonly found in well water sources.
There are two types of iron in the well water, which are ferric iron and ferrous iron.
Ferric iron is a particle that causes reddish-brown rust on surfaces when in contact with oxygen and water. It will cause a stain in your toilet fixtures and clog the plumbing system.
Ferrous iron is a dissolved iron.
Ferric irons can be removed by sediment filter, KDF filter, activated carbon filter, and Reverse Osmosis filter, whereas ferrous iron can only be removed by a water softener and Reverse Osmosis filter.
However, the Reverse Osmosis filter is not suitable for the whole house well water filtration setup, so only a left water softener to be a viable option to remove ferrous iron.
If your well water has a high concentration of ferrous iron, you can install a water softener designed for well water with iron.
How to Remove Microorganisms from Well Water
Microorganisms are more dangerous than other types of contaminants as some of them could be fatal to humans.
They are also harder to remove.
Microorganisms including bacteria, cysts, fungus, and viruses.
An activated carbon filter with pores smaller than one micron can remove coliform bacteria and cysts through mechanical filtration.
Reverse Osmosis filters can effectively remove bacteria like E.Coli, Shigella, and Salmonella, and viruses like Rotavirus, Enteric, and Hepatitis A.
The UV filter is the most effective method aside from chlorination to remove all types of microorganisms in well water. The ultraviolet rays can damage the cells of microorganisms can render them harmless.
How to Remove Arsenic from Well Water
Arsenic is a metalloid chemical naturally present in the groundwater and its inorganic form is highly toxic.
Long-term exposure to arsenic can cause cancer and cardiovascular disease.
The best water treatment systems for well water with arsenic are Reverse Osmosis systems, salt-based water softeners, and activated alumina filters.
A Reverse Osmosis system can trap the inorganic arsenic with its microscopic pores, a water softener can remove them via ion exchange, and activated alumina will adsorb and bind the arsenic.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Well Water Filtration System for Home
Here are the factors you need to look into when finding the best well water treatment system for your home.
Well Water Quality
To know the water quality of your well, you can either get a water test report from a local water laboratory or based on the water study report from your area.
By knowing the quality of your well water, it helps in getting the correct water filter.
If your well water contains microorganisms, you’ll need an ultraviolet (UV) filter or high-performance RO system to kill them.
And if the well water is hard, then you’ll need a well water salt filter system or water softener to reduce the water hardness.
Based on our research data, well water may contain a certain level of sediments, heavy metals like iron, VOCs, hardness like calcium and magnesium, microorganisms like bacteria and viruses, manganese, turbidity, and sulfur smell.
So if you have a whole house well water filtration system that takes care of these harmful contaminants in well water, then you don’t have to worry about getting ill due to contaminated water.
Targeted Contaminants Removal Capability
The best filtration system for well water should be able to remove most contaminants that could exist in your well water.
To know the potential contaminants in your water, you may send a water sample to a lab to test or search for reports on well water in your geographical area.
Aside from the known contaminants, you also need to be prepared for the potential contaminants that could appear in your well water in the future.
Once you know the target contaminants you need to remove, it is time to spend your budget around water filters that target these contaminants for optimum filtration performance.
Filtration Pores Size
A filter’s pores size determines the size of particles that will be blocked from passing through and is indicate in Micron or Mesh.
For instance, a 5-micron sediment filter will trap all particles with a size equal to or larger than 5 microns.
In short, the lower the micron rating, the finer the filtration, and the more particles it can block.
However, a lower micron rating also means the filter will be clogged sooner and provide a lower water flow rate.
Therefore, it is recommended to set up filters in the declining slope of micron ratings for the best efficiency of the whole well water filtration system.
For instance, the first spin-down sediment filter has the highest micron rating (eg: 30), then the second filter has a lower micron rating (eg: 5), then followed by a filter with an even lower micron rating (eg: 1).
In this setup, you spread the contaminants across multi-stages of filters and improve the overall lifespan.
If you are currently renting a house, you may want to install point-of-use systems as they are easier to relocate when you move house.
Point-of-entry systems provide greater water filtration for the whole house, but they are heavier and larger.
If you are not planning to move house any time soon, it is better to invest in a combination of point-of-use filters and a whole house filtration system for the best well water filtration.
However, if you have a limited budget, you will need to select the most cost-efficient filters according to your budget.
Water Flow Rate Provided by the Well Water Filtration System
A sufficient water flow rate is important to give your family members the best experience in using water.
The flow rate of the filtration systems will determine the number of simultaneous use of water-using activities without pressure drop.
If your family members often use water simultaneously, like shower, cooking, wash clothes, and wash a car, then you may need a well water filtration system with a high flow rate.
For a family of four, a minimum water flow rate of 7 GPM is recommended.
Well Water Usage
If your house water usage is high, I’ll recommend you to choose those filters with a larger capacity and a higher flow rate, so that you don’t have to replace them that often or experience low water pressure during simultaneous use.
Also, it’s better to use double sediment filters with different filtration sizes to make the whole sediment filtration process more efficient.
Each filter comes with a designated capacity, therefore, you need to choose the right capacity across the filters according to your house’s water usages to reduce maintenance intervals.
For instance, choose the filters with capacity that can last for 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, and 24 months.
In this case, you only need to replace your filters at most 4 times a year and is easier to remember the filter replacement schedules.
Imagine if one filter can last for 2 months, another one lasts for 3 months, another one lasts for 5 months, and one more lasts for 7 months.
In a case like this, you will need to replace the filter after 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 months, that is 10 times in a year!
Fewer maintenances needed means more time to do the things you love.
Therefore, the best well water filtration system should require fewer maintenances a year.
Besides, the maintenance process should be as simple as possible.
For instance, you can look for the twist-in twist-out type of filters as they do not require any tools to change the filter.
Also, it is better to choose larger capacity filters as they last longer.
Some features like bypass valve and filter change indicator are useful too.
Your Budget for a Well Water Filtration System
The well water filtration system cost is one of the main considerations for most people.
It may be costly to build the best water filtration system for hard well water, so you need to gauge between what you need and your affordability.
You need to take into account both the initial price and annual running cost of the well filtration system.
You can estimate the annual running cost based on your house water consumption and the filters’ capacity and replacement cost.
Because a powerful well water filter system costs a lot, which makes the consumers think twice before they buy, even though they need it.
Sometimes, you may need to compromise some features and performance for a lower cost.
Wondering what’s the cost of a well water filtration system?
A complete high-performance well water filtration system may cost more than $2,000 as the initial investment. While a complete medium-performance well water filtration system may cost about $1,000 to $2,000.
For an entry-level water filtration system for home with well, you can start with below $1,000.
Most of the time, a higher performance comes with a higher cost, but clean and healthy water is highly important for your family’s health, so I’ll advise you to stretch your budget a little bit, and let it guide your purchase decision.
At a minimum, you should have a basic well water filtration system for the home.
NSF International is a voluntary organization to test and certified water filters against the Standards set by ANSI.
While it is not mandatory to choose filters with NSF certification, however, using NSF-certified filters reduces the probability of getting underperform filters.
Please note that an NSF-certified water filter may cost slightly higher than the one without certification as it is expensive for manufacturers to receive and maintain the NSF certification.
Sometimes it is unavoidable to face an issue during or after the purchase, whether is a technical, warranty, or product issue.
Therefore, it is better to buy a water filter from a reputable company or brand that provides great customer support.
Which Company Makes the Best Water Filter System for Well Water
In the water treatment industry, no one company can single-handed make the best well water filtration system.
Therefore, you need to buy each of the best well water filters from different companies to build the best water system for well water.
Here are some of the reputable companies that make top-quality water filters of the following type:
- Best Sediment Filter for Well Water: iSpring, Rusco.
- Best Activated Carbon Filter for Well Water: iSpring, Aquaboon, Ronaqua.
- Best Iron Filter for Well Water: Home Master, Pentek.
- Best Water Softener for Well Water: Fleck, AFWFilters, Durawater, SpringWell, APEC.
- Best Whole House Water Filter for Well Water: Express Water, Aquasana, Home Master, iSpring.
The Complete Well Water Filtration System Diagram
Here’s the well water filter system diagram to guide you in understanding the whole well filtration system work.
My Complete Well Water Filtration System Setup
Here’s my line of multi-stage well water filtration system setup:
- 100 Micron spin down sediment filter (iSpring WSP100ARB) – flush weekly
- 20 Micron 20” large capacity sediment filter (Aquaboon 20” + iSpring FP220BX2)
- Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener
- Express Water Heavy Metal 3-Stages Whole House Filter (5 microns)
- HQUA-OWS-12 Ultraviolet Water Sterilizer Filter
- Waterdrop Tankless Reverse Osmosis WD-G3-W (sub-micron)
- Engdenton Faucet Water Filter
- AquaHomeGroup Luxury Filtered Shower Head Set
Of course, I’m quite particular on water quality, and you don’t have to follow me, just to show you one of the ideal water filtration system setups with gradient micron ratings for the best efficiency.
Well Water Filtration System Maintenance Tips
If you want your whole house well water filtration system working in top condition, you’ll need to maintain it periodically.
No worry, it won’t be hard.
First is the sediment filter, make sure to check out the trapped sediments regularly and flush them if needed.
Second, keep track of the filters’ replacement time by noting down the estimated replacement date (could be every 3, 6, or 12 months, etc.).
This is important as overused filters can do more harm than good.
To save the maintenance hassles, you can opt for larger capacity filtration systems or filters with auto-maintenance features like auto-flushing.
Next, if you notice any water pressure drop, check out the whole well water filtration line to see if there’s any leaking.
To prevent leaking, make sure the well water filtration system installation is done correctly following the guide from the manufacturer.
If you have no basic plumbing skills, I’ll suggest you hire a professional plumber to do the job.
Summary of the Best Well Water Filtration System Setup
Here’s the summary of the best water filters for well water:
|Rusco 2″ Spin Down||Sediment||Check|
|Aquaboon 20″ Filter System||Sediment||Check|
|Fleck 5600SXT 64k Grain||Softener||Check|
|AFWFilters Dual Tank 96k||Softener||Check|
|Express Water Heavy Metal||Whole House||Check|
|Aquasana w/ UV & Descaler||Whole House||Check|
|Home Master HMF3SDGFEC||Whole House||Check|
|HQUA-OWS-12 UV Filter||Ultraviolet||Check|
|Home Master TMHP RO||RO||Check|
|APEC Top Tier RO-PH90||RO||Check|
|AquaBliss SF100 Filter||Shower||Check|
|Engdenton Faucet Filter||Faucet||Check|
|Hydro-Logic RO1000||Outdoor RO||Check|
FAQ for Well Water Filtration System
1. What is the best whole house well water filtration system?
These are the top 3 whole house filtration systems for well water:
1. Express Water Heavy Metal 3-Stage
2. Aquasana w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler
3. Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-Stage Whole House
2. What is the best well water filtration system?
The best well water filtration system involves multiple water filters that target specific types of contaminants and serve different purposes.
For instance, a whole house water filter to target larger contaminants at the point of entry, a water softener to soften the hard well water, a UV filter if the well water contains microorganisms, a Reverse Osmosis system for drinking water, and shower filters and faucet filters to remove residual contaminants due to plumbing system.
3. Why does my well water filter turn black?
It could be due to the manganese or black sediments in well water. Besides, turbidity can be the culprit as well.
4. How do a well water filtration system work?
The well water filtration system uses multiple filters that remove a specific type of contaminants from the well water, leaving you clean and purified water for daily use.
5. What is the best way to filter well water?
The best way is to use a water filtration system that’s effective to remove potential contaminants in well water.
6. How much is a whole-house filtration system for well water?
The basic filtration system would cost less than $1,000, a medium-range well filtration system costs between $1,000 to $2,000, and a high-performance well water purification system costs more than $2,000.
7. Should I filter well water?
Yes. Unfiltered well water can cause a lot of issues to your whole plumbing system, appliances, fixtures, and your health. The sediments like rust and iron may damage your plumbing system, the hardness will form white scales on your bathroom floor and damage your expensive electric appliances, and the pathogens and microorganism will negatively impact your health.
8. Can well water make you sick?
Yes. Harmful contaminants in well water may cause gastrointestinal illnesses like diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting, and more serious health issues like cancer, reproductive problems, and neurological problems.
9. Is it okay to drink well water?
Only drink the filtered well water, as the unfiltered well water may contain harmful contaminants like bacteria and viruses.
10. What kind of filter is best for well water?
The sediment filter, Reverse Osmosis filter, ultraviolet (UV) filter, activated carbon filter, and KDF85 filter is effective in removing contaminants in well water.
11. Do I need a Reverse Osmosis system for well water?
If your well water contains a high amount of total dissolved solids (TDS), a Reverse Osmosis system is highly recommended.
A Reverse Osmosis system can also remove microorganisms like bacteria, cysts, and some viruses in case you do not have a UV filter in your well water filtration system.
12. Do I need a UV filter for well water?
If your well water has the potential to contain microorganisms, a UV filter is the most effective way to against them.
13. Can I install the well water filtration system myself?
Yes, you can. Most of the water filters are designed to be easy to install. However, for larger filtration systems like a whole house water filter and water softener, it is better to hire a professional plumber if you have no basic plumbing skills.
14. How to maintain a well water filtration system?
For most filters, you just need to change the filter cartridges.
For the UV filter, you need to replace the UV lamp according to the frequency instructed by the manufacturer.
For a water softener, you will need to refill the salts when they are running low and clean the brine tank annually.
15. How to remove rotten egg smells from well water?
The best way to remove rotten egg smells from well water is by installing a whole house filtration system that can remove sulfur and hydrogen sulfide gas.
Conclusion: The Best Well Water Filtration System Is System That Give You Clean Water Without Breaking Your Bank
If you have bad-quality well water, a well water filtration system is a gift to you.
Clean and healthy water is crucial to human beings, and that’s the reason why you need the best well water filtration system for your house.
The best well water filtration system isn’t necessarily the most expensive or most powerful one, but the one that solves your problems without breaking your bank.
The health benefits of purified water to your family are priceless.
So, understand your water’s quality and build the best water treatment system for well water to improve the quality of your life!