The presence of iron in well water can be harmful to you and your home. For that purpose, make sure to use the best iron filter for well water that can purify the water from excessive iron.
Before knowing which iron filter suits your needs, you must know about how iron affects you and your home and why it should be used for well water.
Besides, for your comfort, I’ve got the top 3 best iron filters for well water that are efficient in iron removal.
Disclosure: BrizFeel is a participant of Amazon Associate program.
Top 3 Best Iron Filters for Well Water
Here are the top 3 best iron removal filters for wel water for your qucik overview:
- iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Well Water Filtration System
- Pentek 155263 Iron Removal Filter
What is Iron and How Does It Affect You & Your Home?
Like many other minerals, iron is beneficial and essential for human health.
But, there is a limit for the intake of iron especially when you drink water. An excessive amount of iron in well water causes negative effects for you and your home.
1. Poor Skin: When you drink water with excessive iron contents, it affects your body’s skin by damaging healthy skin cells.
2. Iron Overload: It is a health effect that is caused by digesting iron and often refers to a mutation in the gene. This disorder is very common, and you should consider removing iron from well water. Otherwise, Iron overload can cause damage to your heart, liver, and pancreas.
3. Effect on plumbing: When home’s water contains an excessive amount of iron, it causes plumbing issues by leaving behind a residue that causes clogging. It further causes slow draining and reduced water pressure.
Why Use an Iron Filter for Well Water?
To keep yourself protected against an excessive amount of iron in well water, it is necessary to use the best filter for iron removal.
Your well water is usually clear in color but contains high contents of iron that is known as “ferrous or clear water iron.”
This ferrous or clear water iron is transformed into ferric iron particles and then these parties are automatically drained out.
However, when the level of iron exceeds the maximum level of iron recommended (0.3 PPM), it has a metallic taste and foul odor, and it causes clogging in piping and water appliances to become rusty.
How to Remove Iron from Well Water?
There are a few effective methods to remove iron from water.
For the removal of iron-contaminated water, water softeners can be used that are efficient to remove minerals such as ferrous iron.
You should know about the pH level of water because water softener works best when the iron is not in excessive amounts. For high pH value, consider other methods of iron removal from well water.
Aeration of Water
By using air injectors, aeration of water is carried out for the removal of iron from well water.
In this method, oxygen is added to the water which oxidizes and induces precipitation of the iron. This is efficient but it has a limit when it comes to iron level in well water.
Oxidation Iron Filter
Iron filters are merely average water softeners without oxidizing filter media.
For that purpose, you can use an oxidation iron filter for immediate oxidation to remove iron from well water.
However, if the water contains organic matter, chemical treatment is required to kill bacteria and an iron filter cannot do this alone.
The iron presence in well water helps bacteria to grow rapidly. Chemical oxidation is the only way out to effectively remove bacteria by adding chlorine or potassium permanganate in well water.
As a result, chemical oxidation is carried out which is further followed by water filter treatment to yield optimum outcomes.
Bearing these methods of iron removal from well water in mind, a water softener is recommended for a ferrous solution, a specialized iron filter for well water containing iron contents ranging from 7 to 15 PPM, and iron contamination with more PPM can be removed with the help of air injectors.
What are the Different Types of Iron Filters?
You can remove iron from well water using different types of iron filters.
But for the United States water systems, I personally recommend two types of backwashing iron filters, catalytic carbon filters integrated with hydrogen peroxide oxidation and Katalox light filters.
You need to know which type suits your home and meet your water filtration needs.
Catalytic Carbon Filters with Hydrogen Peroxide Oxidation
This is best for the whole house iron water filter, and it is very effective when it comes to the removal of iron and other contamination from well water.
When iron is exposed to oxygen, it becomes insoluble in water and becomes solid which can be easily removed using a Catalytic carbon filter that enhances the oxidation process.
Being so effective makes it the best filter for iron removal for you.
Keep in mind that the oxidation process followed by the filtration is considered as one of the effective ways for the removal of high contents of iron.
However, this type of iron filter needs maintenance as the hydrogen peroxide tanks should be refilled once used, and the carbon filter requires backwashing and should be replaced after several years.
Katalox Light Media (Oxidizing Filters)
It is an oxidizing filter which can be effective for the removal of iron from well water. The Katalox light is a filtering media that filters down to 3 microns which makes it perfect to trap insoluble iron and other particles.
It comes with 10% of manganese dioxide coating that is much higher than any other oxidizing media. It makes it effective and easier when it comes to backwashing as compared to any other removable media types.
However, this type of iron filter is recommended for commercial use and doesn’t suit for such well water where there are iron-reducing bacteria.
Top 3 Best Iron Filters for Well Water Reviews
Here are the carefully picked top 3 best iron removal filters for well water.
1. iSpring WGB32BM Whole House Water Filtration System for Well Water Review
This is a whole house iron filtration system designed for cleaning up well water.
It filters water from the source as water when from every outlet passes through three filtration stages. These three filtration stages serve important functions for the removal of iron from well water.
The first stage consists of 5-micron high-capacity filter that easily removes dirt and other large-sized particles from clogging into the filters.
The second stage comprises of 5-micron coconut shell carbon block filter that makes it effective in removing contaminated particles as compared to other ordinary filters.
The third stage has an iron and manganese removing the filter that purifies up to 95% of iron contaminants from well water.
- Effectively improves water quality
- Can reduce iron contents from well water
- Protects water appliances from rusting and corrosion
- Polypropylene sediment filter
- Filter capacity is low
- It may get exhausted due to a higher level of contamination in well water.
Why choose iSpring WGB32BM iron removal filter for well water:
- It is equipped with Polypropylene sediment filter and effective carbon block filter which makes it a reliable and best iron filter for well water. The carbon block filter makes it effective against iron removal and enhances longevity.
- It is a whole house filtration system that doesn’t only remove iron from well water but ensures removing 95% of other contaminants such as chlorine, chemicals, and heavy metals alongside iron.
2. Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Well Water Filtration System Review
This product is a must-buy for you if you are looking to reduce high iron contents in well water. It is effective for the removal of iron from well water and it offers much more than that.
Alongside iron, it ensures removing sediments, carbon, and other contaminants that are present in the water. Due to the presence of iron in water, it causes plumbing issues as I discussed above.
This three-stage water filtration system protects piping from rusting.
It is highly efficient and can easily get rid of up to 95% of iron and other contaminants present in the well water. It is also helpful in removing chemicals that can cause serious health problems.
The presence of iron in well water causes bad taste and odor, which can be improved with this reliable product. It is effective in filtering down the iron of up to 3 PPM and reduces the contaminants in its combined load.
- 3-stage filtration
- Low maintenance
- Can easily filter iron, carbon and other contaminants
- Effective filters
- The pump needs to be shut down to change the filter
Why choose Home Master filter to remove iron in well water:
- With its massive filter housings of 1-inch ports, Home Master Whole House System delivers the high-pressure of water (up to 15 gallons per minute)
- It comes with a coconut shell carbon filter that is highly-durable and purifies up to 95,000 gallons of water before going to be replaced. It helps you in full-year clean water.
3. Pentek 155263 Iron Removal Filter Review
This filter works better in removing dissolved iron in water with a concentration of up to 3 ppm (parts per million).
Pentek 155263 is effective for improved taste and it reduces piping damages due to iron and other contaminants present in well water.
For its housing, you may choose this Aquaboon 20-inch housing for best durability.
- It can effectively remove iron from well water
- Easy to use
- Durable for long-term performance
- It cannot meet the needs of large households
Why choose Pentek 155263 Iron Removal Filter for well water:
- With an iron concentration of up to 3 PPM, it has a lifespan of 26,000 gallons of water and best suitable for long-term performance at a lower concentration.
What To Look For When Buying the Best Iron Filter For Well Water (Buying Guide)
There are a few important factors that you need to consider before buying the best iron removal filter for well water.
1. Type of iron in the water
Before buying an iron filter for your well water, make sure what type of iron you’re dealing with, for instance, whether it is a ferric iron or bacterial iron.
You can easily test the well water to make sure of the nature of iron. Know about the concentration of iron in well water as well.
Based on these things, consider a single or three-phase filtering system to ensure choosing the best iron filter for well water.
2. Filter capacity
You need to take into consideration the size and members of your family before buying an iron filter.
Choose the filter according to your needs, otherwise, you will end up wasting your money by investing in the wrong size filter.
3. Easy Installation and maintenance
Choose an iron filter that is easy to install and provide you with ease of maintenance at the same time. The lifespan of the system depends upon its filter efficiency.
However, it lasts a maximum of up to 5-10 years, and you need to replace its parts. Make sure to choose such an iron filter for well water whose parts are easily available in the market.
4. Flow rate
Flow rate is another important factor that needs to be considered before buying an iron filter. The best iron filter for well water provides high flow rates means high pressure of water.
Summary of the Best Iron Filters For Well Water
The filtration systems, iSpring WGB32BM 3-stage, home master whole house, and Pentek 155263 are the best iron removal options for your well water at home.
These systems are comprised of exceptional features and specs to provide you comfort at home.
Here are the summaries of the best iron removal filters for well water for your quick review and compare.
iSpring WGB32BM 3-stage [Check Price]
- Peak Flow rate of 15 GPM
- 25-80 psi pressure
- Temperature ranges from 40-100 F
- pH range 6-11
Home Master Whole House System [Check Price]
- Strongest water possible pressure of 15 GPM
- Feedwater ranges from 20 psi to 90 psi
- Temperature ranges from 40-100 F
- Best for iron < 3 PPM
- Suitable for a pH of less than 7
Pentek 155263 [Check Price]
- The peak flow rate of 10 GPM
- Temperature ranges from 40 to 125 F
- Lifespan at 3 PPM of 26,000 gallons of water
- Effective for pH greater than 7
1. Can the iSpring WGB32BM 3-stage remove copper?
Yes, this handy iron filter is effective in removing copper from the water as it comes with activated carbon.
2. Does the GPM flow rate matter?
It usually depends on the system where you want to install the filter. Based on your system needs, consider the rated GPM flow rate and make sure to buy the iron filter that suits your home well water requirements.
3. How often do I have to change filters?
It depends on the type of iron in water, but it usually lasts for 10-12 months.
The presence of iron in well water can be an alarming situation and you need to install the best iron filter for well water before the situation goes too far from your hands.
The best filter for iron removal keeps you protected from health-related issues such as poor skin, metallic taste, and rusted pipes.
Before buying an iron filter, choose one with the best filter capacity that suits your needs, easy installation and maintenance, and high flow rate.
- Complete Well Water Filtration System Setup
- Best Reverse Osmosis System for Home
- Best Water Distillers for Home