In this Pelican water softener review, I’ll be discussing all the important facts about the Pelican Advantage Series PS48 and PS80 salt-based water softeners so that you know whether they are for you or not.
In the US, most of our water is hard, and that’s the reason why we need a great and long-lasting water softener to prevent problems due to hardness minerals.
After this Pelican salt water softeners review, you will know the following:
- The main features and performance of Pelican Advantage Series salt water softeners.
- The pros and cons of Pelican Salt-based Water Softeners.
- What are the differences between PS48 and PS80 salt water softeners (comparison)?
- Is Pelican Advantage Series salt-based water softener good for your home?
Pelican Advantage Series Salt Water Softener (PS48/PS80): Quick Overview
Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener
48,000 to 80,000
1 to 6 bathrooms
Water Flow Rate (GPM)
12 to 18
Ion-Exchange with salt or potassium
$1,500 to $2,000
What Are Pelican Advantage Series Salt Water Softeners PS48 and PS80
Pelican Water Advantage Series PS48 and PS80 are salt-based water softeners that come with great water softening performance, high water flow rate, and great features.
It uses high-performance ion-exchange technology to completely remove hardness minerals from water.
It is a perfect candidate for water with a high level of hardness minerals.
Pelican Water Softener Review: Advantage Series PS48 & PS80
Main Features of Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener
- Removes hardness minerals with ion-exchange technology
- High capacity mineral tank: 48,000 grains (PS48) and 80,000 grains (PS80)
- High water flow rate: 12 GPM (PS48) and 18 GPM (PS80)
- Can use salt or potassium to soften the hard water.
- Metered electronic control head
- Long-lasting resin bed
- Comes with a bypass valve for maintenance purpose
- NSF/ANSI certified against standard 44 for structural integrity
Main Features of Pelican Salt Water Softener Programmable Control Head
- Solid-state microprocessor
- User-friendly front panel
- 36 pre-programmed regeneration cycles to choose from
- 3 operation modes: Meter Immediate, Meter Delayed, and Time Clock Delayed
- Double backwash – for optimum efficiency
- Downflow regeneration
- Backup battery with up to 8 hours power supply
- Quiet and efficient performance
The electronic control head allows you to monitor and control the water softener with ease.
It has a metered regeneration feature that only regenerates the resin bed when needed, thus saving you a lot of water and salts in the long run.
It also runs quietly during the operation.
What Pelican Advantage Series Salt Water Softeners Remove
The salt-based water softeners remove calcium and magnesium minerals from your water, which make the water soft to your hair and skin and prevent limescale buildup in appliances, pipes, and water fixtures.
The Pros and Cons of Pelican Water Softener
Pelican Salt-based Water Softeners Comparison: PS48 vs PS80
How Does Pelican Advantage Series Salt-based Water Softener Works?
The Pelican water softener removes hardness minerals from water through an ion-exchange process, which exchanges sodium ions with the calcium and magnesium minerals from water.
When water passes through the Pelican mineral tank (resin tank), the positively charged calcium and magnesium ions are attached to the negatively charged plastic beads.
Next, during the regeneration process, the salt solution from the brine tank flows through the mineral tank and replaces the trapped hardness minerals with sodium ions, and then the hardness minerals are flushed to the drain.
Here are the 3 water softening steps of Pelican water softener:
- Regeneration Phase: Regenerates the mineral tank with sodium ions from salt solution and release calcium and magnesium ions from the resin bed, which is then flushed to the drain during the backwashing phase.
- Backwashing Phase: Removes hardness minerals and dirt from the mineral tank.
- Rinse Phase: Rinses the mineral tank with fresh water and fill the brine tank for the next regeneration cycle.
After the ion-exchange process, the hard water is softened and will not cause limescale build-up.
Why Choose Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener Over Others?
The salt-based water softener by Pelican offers numerous benefits over its competitors, such as:
- Can treat water with a high level of hardness – suitable for both city and well water.
- Simple installation – The softener system is DIY-friendly.
- Metered regeneration – Pelican’s salt-based water softener will only regenerate when is needed, which saves a lot of water and salts in the long run.
- NSF/ANSI Certified – The Pelican Advantage Series PS48 and PS80 are NSF/ANSI certified against Standard 44 for structural integrity, which gives you peace of mind knowing that the product is made of safe materials.
What Customers Say About the Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener
- Excellent softener and easy to install and get programmed to run. Step-by-step instructions guide you through the whole process.
- Love the product. Hate the hold times and transfers when speaking to agents.
- After trying two other systems, this is the one we need for our home. No more mineral deposits, great taste, and reliable operation!
- Our Pelican salt water softener system really makes a difference. We highly recommend this unit, don’t hesitate, wish we would have gotten this sooner. Great system and now is eliminating water spots & softer water for showering, dishes, etc. Love this Pentair Pelican system.
- This is the second time I have installed a whole house Pelican water system in my home. The cost spent on this system will save dollars on costly appliance repair and pipe destruction. Works great.
- We are very happy with our water since we have a well. The only problem we had was that when it came in it was very banged up. It was not protected very well and the housing was badly damaged and the base had come off. So far it has not affected the functionality.
How Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener Looks Like Physically
What Is Included When You Buy Pelican Salt Water Softener PS48/PS80?
- Resin tank
- Brine tank with float and drain line
- Electronic control head
- Bypass valve
- 1” fittings
- Instruction manual
Note: Do not install a water softener in a place that is exposed to extreme heat or freezing. The installation of the water softener is simple but will take some time to set it up, and make sure you follow the instruction manual given.
FAQ for Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener PS48/PS80
1. Is the Pelican Advantage Series Salt Water Softener comes with professional installation?
No. You need to install yourself or hire a professional plumber to install for you.
2. What form of salt can I use for Pelican PS48 or PS80?
You can use any form of salt.
Conclusion: Pelican Advantage Series Salt Water Softener Is Great In Treating Very Hard Water
Pelican Advantage Series Water Softener is a solid choice to treat water with a high level of hardness, it is suitable for households that suffered from very hard water and with no family member who is on a low-sodium diet.
It also comes with a great set of features and is priced reasonably.
I hope this Pelican Water Softener Review for the Advantage Series can help you in making the right choice for your home.
- Pelican NaturSoft Salt-free Water Softener Review
- Best Bottleless Water Coolers for Home & Office
- Best No-Salt Water Softeners for Home