The remarkable ability of ChatGPT to produce human-like responses has taken the internet by storm, making it a versatile tool for various applications.
In this discussion, we’ll delve into the most recent ChatGPT statistics, its user base, as well as its notable fact. Additionally, we will provide information on the ChatGPT company, OpenAI, its funding sources, revenue generation, and other relevant details.
20 ChatGPT Users & Statistics
- ChatGPT surpass 100 million monthly active users only 2 months after its launch, outpacing TikTok’s 9-month and Instagram’s 30-month growth rate to reach the same level.
- Within just 5 days of its launch, ChatGPT had already garnered 1 million users, surpassing the user acquisition rate of Facebook and Instagram, which achieved this milestone in 10 and 2 months, respectively.
- In the first month since its launch, ChatGPT had already amassed 15 million users.
- According to OpenAI, hundreds of organizations and millions of users worldwide are using their GPT models, including ChatGPT.
- The parameters in ChatGPT add up to a massive 175 billion.
- ChatGPT’s transformer architecture utilizes 96 layers.
- ChatGPT’s training dataset consisted of 300 billion words, which equates to 570 GB.
- ChatGPT was trained on a massive 45 terabytes of text data.
- The average cost for a single ChatGPT chat is in the single-digit cents range.
- OpenAI, the owner of ChatGPT, predicts $1 billion in revenue by 2024 once ChatGPT is monetized in 2023.
- Microsoft invested $10 billion in ChatGPT.
- The ChatGPT website receives over 600 million monthly visits as of March 2023.
- As one of the largest language models ever created, ChatGPT is a remarkable achievement in natural language processing.
- ChatGPT’s transformer architecture is widely considered to be state-of-the-art in natural language processing, contributing to its impressive performance.
- ChatGPT is a fine-tuned model from the GPT-3.5 series, which completed its training in early 2022.
- ChatGPT’s ability to produce human-like text has earned it high praise, making it an invaluable tool for organizations seeking to engage with customers and users in a more conversational manner.
- With its vast training corpus of text data, ChatGPT generates highly coherent and realistic text in response to input.
- ChatGPT has been utilized in a wide range of applications, including chatbots, virtual assistants, content generation systems, and research projects.
- ChatGPT has also demonstrated its ability to pass US Medical Licensing and Wharton’s MBA exams.
- Despite its “mediocre” performance, ChatGPT has successfully passed law school exams.
10 ChatGPT Facts
- ChatGPT was launched on 30th November 2022.
- Sam Altman, Reid Hoffman, Jessica Livingston, Elon Musk, Ilya Sutskever, Peter Thiel, and others founded OpenAI in December 2015.
- Elon Musk was among the co-founders of OpenAI, but he resigned in 2018.
- The OpenAI company is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
- OpenAI is a non-profit research company committed to conducting research that benefits humanity as a whole.
- Microsoft’s $10 billion investment in OpenAI is expected to bring the company’s valuation to $29 billion.
- Dall-E, an image-generation AI, is also one of OpenAI’s creations.
- During its research preview phase, ChatGPT is available for free, while the enhanced version, ChatGPT Plus, is priced at $20.
- ChatGPT-4 was released on 14 March 2023.
- ChatGPT-4 only available to Plus plan subscribers.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a cutting-edge language model that utilizes transformer architecture and has been trained on a massive corpus of internet text data. The acronym GPT stands for Generative Pre-trained Transformer.
As one of the largest and most potent language models in existence, ChatGPT is capable of generating human-like text and performing an array of tasks, including answering questions, summarizing lengthy texts, translating languages, generating creative writing, and much more.
OpenAI, the organization responsible for creating ChatGPT, is a top AI research laboratory established in December 2015. The organization has received substantial funding from well-known investors such as Elon Musk, Sam Altman, Greg Brockman, Ilya Sutskever, Wojciech Zaremba, and John Schulman, among others.
Furthermore, major corporations like Microsoft and Reid Hoffman have also invested in OpenAI to support the development of cutting-edge AI research and the creation of powerful language models like ChatGPT.
It’s important to note that OpenAI is a non-profit organization dedicated to conducting research that benefits humanity as a whole. Therefore, the funding it receives is used to further its mission of responsible and ethical AI development for the benefit of all people.
How Does OpenAI Make Money from ChatGPT?
OpenAI generates revenue through the ChatGPT Plus Plan, which offers users access to the service for a monthly subscription fee of $20.
With this plan, users can use ChatGPT at any time, including during peak usage periods, enjoy faster response times, gain priority access to new features and improvements, and has access to ChatGPT-4.
- arXiv:2005.14165 [cs.CL], 2020